Consecutive finals.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KTShepherd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings SDN!

I'm a bit conflicted about my schedule and I was hoping you guys can assist me with my issue.

So, for my current schedule, I have two consecutive finals (Gen. Biology & Gen. Chemistry) within the same day. Basically, on December 10th, I have my biology final from 8 - 10 AM and my chemistry final from 10:30 AM - 12:30 PM.

I have a chance to switch to a different chemistry class which has its final on December 14th from 7 - 9 PM. I don't really mind that the final is somewhat late. The thing is that the class lecture time is Mondays and Wednesdays from 6 - 7 PM.

If you guys were in my situation, would you take the chemistry night class in order to gain some extra studying time?

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Finals occur on one day..and then it will be over. The different schedule you're gonna have to deal with for the rest of the semester and night classes are not much fun.
So... Couple of hours gained in study time on exam day vs Potential pain of a whole semester of night classes ....

You could keep your current schedule and then make sure that you do all that needs to be done to ensure that you know the material by the time your finals roll around... You know ...complete HW on time, attend classes, use extra credit, learn the material as best as you can. That way you don't need to be studying on your final day...

Greetings SDN!

I'm a bit conflicted about my schedule and I was hoping you guys can assist me with my issue.

So, for my current schedule, I have two consecutive finals (Gen. Biology & Gen. Chemistry) within the same day. Basically, on December 10th, I have my biology final from 8 - 10 AM and my chemistry final from 10:30 AM - 12:30 PM.

I have a chance to switch to a different chemistry class which has its final on December 14th from 7 - 9 PM. I don't really mind that the final is somewhat late. The thing is that the class lecture time is Mondays and Wednesdays from 6 - 7 PM.

If you guys were in my situation, would you take the chemistry night class in order to gain some extra studying time?

Thank you in advance for your responses!

No, this will happen all the time in college. You don't study for a final the few hours before it ... you prepare for them throughout the semester by knowing the material and doing some heavy review the week or so before.

Don't bother switching your entire schedule just bc of a consecutive final.

Members don't see this ad :)
Consecutive finals aren't as bad as you think. Just stay on top of things and don't try to cram everything in that week. It'd probably be easier to not take night classes since that could mess up your whole schedule, especially if you find some extracurriculars you want to do. I liked to have my classes over with as soon as possible.

Way to go. I didn't know when finals were until the week before they started.

College finals are nothing daunting. Its just like any other final exam, and assuming youve come out of high school, you should be quite familiar with them. You have plenty of time to study. College is like >50% free time.

Otherwise, i dont see what the concern is. You just take two exams in a row...

If you are pursing premed, you should be capable of performing well on an exam for ~5 hours (mcat).

Ive never heard of someone having trouble with consecutive final exams. Have you had problems with sustained performance in the past?

Thank you again, guys!

College finals are nothing daunting. Its just like any other final exam, and assuming youve come out of high school, you should be quite familiar with them. You have plenty of time to study. College is like >50% free time.

Otherwise, i dont see what the concern is. You just take two exams in a row...

If you are pursing premed, you should be capable of performing well on an exam for ~5 hours (mcat).

Ive never heard of someone having trouble with consecutive final exams. Have you had problems with sustained performance in the past?

It's just that I've never had consecutive finals before.

I took a few science courses at a community college before and fortunately, the finals landed on different days. I got A's in these courses.

Now that I'm moving onto university-level courses, I know how important is it to maintain a competitive GPA and there's a part of me that's just paranoid about performing poorly on finals that are consecutive.

Hehe, but you as well as the others brought up a lot of good points! So, I'll stick with my current schedule.

I don't really mind that the final is somewhat late.

I'm guessing you're a freshman? As others have said, having multiple finals on the same day isn't really a huge deal. Just prepare well for both. Have high A's going into the finals and it'll be stress-free (I know, easier said than done).

Also, I had to quote that for my personal lulz. I have been done on the 23rd of December every year so far (n=3) so the 14th sounds crazy early to be done.

I'm guessing you're a freshman? As others have said, having multiple finals on the same day isn't really a huge deal. Just prepare well for both. Have high A's going into the finals and it'll be stress-free (I know, easier said than done).

Also, I had to quote that for my personal lulz. I have been done on the 23rd of December every year so far (n=3) so the 14th sounds crazy early to be done.

Yep, I'm a freshman!

And oops, I was referring to the time the final took place.

But, yeah! The dates are weird for my school because it goes by quarter system.

Yea dude, don't worry about it. Those are fairly simple courses too. Wait until you get to your third and fourth year of undergrad and you have consecutive final exams.

It won't be that bad if you've done your work throughout the quarter/semester, as others have said. And you'll be able to do that by having a more convenient schedule to work with on the whole.

IIRC, I had a 7:30AM final followed by a 9:30 one before, so I'm there with you on the early back-to-back final thing. But it feels incredible to knock them out early on the same day because once you take them, you're done and can move on to whatever else you need to do. Good luck!

if you have the opportunity to take it NON-consecutively then do it. Its better because you'll be able to rest up after taking another final/review. Best foot forward, not your fastest.

I have 3 finals in the same day this semester on the first day of finals. I could move one or I could suck it up, take all three and be done on the FIRST DAY of finals. I think I'll take the latter option :D

Just pre plan and you will be totally fine. I've also had three finals in one day and looking back it was for the best.