Jul 31, 2010
Status
I have looked at past peoples OAT experiences on this site. I am just trying to get a consensus for the best OAT prep in maybe 3 weeks of studying.. I am writing end of Dec. I have written the mcat before, last time was in september so I have a background in everything except the quantitative reasoning and maaybe RC section. I did not get a stellar verbal score there.

SO OAT achiever is the best route?, I ve read its computer based. a bit harder and gives u a good background for the real tests structure? is there any need for the KAPLAN retail book then?

The ADA test simulates the real deal pretty well?

whats 300/400 in percentile... roughly 50 th?

Jul 2, 2010
Status
Pre-Optometry
300 is the calibrated average

but yeah, the best practice for 3 weeks would be to use the big kaplan book and OAT Achiever.

thecgrblue

Enjoyin' the journey
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2009
Status
With 3 weeks to go I don't know how much time I would spend on Achiever, but I would totally agree with using it a bit to get your timing down.

As far as reviewing material I don't know how much good it would do at this point (SOOOO much to cover and its really just a guessing game). Grabbing some of those quick review sheets that Kaplan or Sparknotes puts out is a good idea. Memorize all the main O-chem reactions. I didn't do anything but that and I got a 380 on the test. I think that QR is the easiest the kick your score up really quick b/c there are only a few styles of questions they ask and you really just have to learn how to get to a solution.

For Biology...I personally wouldn't even bother studying. I assume you have a foundation in basic biology. They pull out so much random stuff that you really just have to hope to get lucky.

Good luck, don't go into freak out mode, I did and studied a lot of crap that was useless, haha.

thecgrblue

Enjoyin' the journey
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2009
Status
Great question, haha. I could've sworn seeing it on an official site, but haven't been able to find it.

Dismissing my previous statement as irrelevant...it is important (or not at all, depending on your opinion) to know that the OAT was recalibrated May 1, 2009 and "a 300 before is not the same as a 300 now". The general consensus I gathered from schools is scores now are about 10 points lower than they previous to that date.