Considering an MBA to become more involved in the Startup arena

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Juicyfruit12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am a board certified physician who has been in private practice for the last 7-8 years. I just recently got back from a 1 week entrepreneurial program in which we got exposed to multiple startups in the healthcare field. I seem really passionate about this area and would see myself in the future creating or joining a startup. I come from a non-prestigious medical school and residency training place. Consequently, to establish some more legitimacy, I am considering to pursue an MBA program at a good/reputable institution. I am thinking about doing an online program to avoid taking time away from my practice. Any thoughts on how I should tackle this? Are there any good MBA programs that are geared toward entrepreneurship in the healthcare field? Would greatly appreciate some input.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard great things about the physician executive MBA program at Auburn (albeit I do live in Alabama). It's not the cheapest option, but is specifically geared toward physicians. You're only required to be on campus a handful of times during the 2-year program.

I also posted this article on my blog recently about ways that physicians can get involved in startups. Perhaps one of them would be fitting for you prior to working at a startup full-time or starting your own.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,

I am a board certified physician who has been in private practice for the last 7-8 years. I just recently got back from a 1 week entrepreneurial program in which we got exposed to multiple startups in the healthcare field. I seem really passionate about this area and would see myself in the future creating or joining a startup. I come from a non-prestigious medical school and residency training place. Consequently, to establish some more legitimacy, I am considering to pursue an MBA program at a good/reputable institution. I am thinking about doing an online program to avoid taking time away from my practice. Any thoughts on how I should tackle this? Are there any good MBA programs that are geared toward entrepreneurship in the healthcare field? Would greatly appreciate some input.

As someone who's probably younger in the field than you, but has his MBA and has worked in startups, an MBA might not help you all that much. Startup culture doesn't revolve around these sorts of traditional experiences as other enterprise companies so the money might not be worth it. I also take the view that if you don't go to an M7, you got to find someone to pay for at least part of the degree to make it work. Startup culture is built around the "hustle" which involves more meet ups and coffee chats than formal schooling. The networking is top notch, but again, may not be worth the money.

Reactions: 1 user
MBA isn't really useful for the startup scene. Maybe moreso for hospital/pharma/big company administration but in a startup its more what do you bring on the table not how many letters are after your name

Reactions: 1 users