Considering applying to Ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CountryFresh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really like the field and am interested in applying, just wondering what you guys realistically think my chances are of matching in Ortho, here's my stats:

Step I: 251/99
GPA: 3.96
not AOA
no research
avg. clinical grades (mostly HP, some H, haven't had surgery yet)

I'm also considering Rads, and I need to make a decision soon :)
I really have no strong preference as far as location, and I will probably rank as many places as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

GTFOOH you tool.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, although these posts are annoying...i remember being tempted myself to ask the same question. i guess every little affirmation helps when you're applying for ortho.

to the OP:
your stats look good, just work hard and keep up the good work. remember that stats are only one aspect, i can't stress how important the rotation, interview, and being a great team player means. just make sure you really want to do ortho vs. rads...not just because you have the stats to try for it.

CP

hey, although these posts are annoying...i remember being tempted myself to ask the same question. i guess every little affirmation helps when you're applying for ortho.

I dunno, it could just be a troll.

Students who apply to Ortho are fanatically worried and seek out every advantage and bit of info that they can. Certainly this person should know the numbers of the average student who matches to Ortho. He/she should also know that 93% of successful applicants have research experience. So why the question here? I interpreted it as more of a chance to brag about GPA and Step 1 scores than anything else.

I dunno, it could just be a troll.

Students who apply to Ortho are fanatically worried and seek out every advantage and bit of info that they can. Certainly this person should know the numbers of the average student who matches to Ortho. He/she should also know that 93% of successful applicants have research experience. So why the question here? I interpreted it as more of a chance to brag about GPA and Step 1 scores than anything else.

exactly!:thumbup:

Hey Guys,

I'm interested in doing ortho and I want an honest opinion about my chances of getting in. Here are my stats;

Step 1: 260/99
GPA: 3.99 (clinical grades all honors including surg/IM)
class rank: 1/100
AOA: As a third year
Research: I actually invented the locking plate before I started medical school and I have 30 publications in JBJS. Former editor of Campbells Operative Orthopaedics.
Other awards: Nobel prize for medicine 2005.
Extracurriculars: I'm currently sleeping with my home program director and two other PDs.

I guess I just want to know what else I can do to prove to everyone else on this site and other ortho sites that I am far superior to them and have a better shot a matching.

Seriously what are my chances!!!!

Hey Guys,

I'm interested in doing ortho and I want an honest opinion about my chances of getting in. Here are my stats;

Research: I actually invented the locking plate before I started medical school and I have 30 publications in JBJS. Former editor of Campbells Operative Orthopaedics.
Extracurriculars: I'm currently sleeping with my home program director and two other PDs.

I guess I just want to know what else I can do to prove to everyone else on this site and other ortho sites that I am far superior to them and have a better shot a matching.

i love it.:laugh:

Hey Guys,

I know someone who was in your exact same situation and didn't even get an interview at his home program. Exact same situation.

Gosh, there's more to it than stats - for example your scent. Do you smell like fear and incompetence, or athleticism and confidence? Another factor that may be hurting you is your gait. Do you walk with confidence (but without strutting!), or shuffle around squeaking your clogs? I cannot overemphasize the importance of these two things, but the most important thing of course is penis size. Program directors know. I know you think you've got them fooled, but they can always tell a faker. They know. I'm telling you - they know.

I know someone who was in your exact same situation and didn't even get an interview at his home program. Exact same situation.

Gosh, there's more to it than stats - for example your scent. Do you smell like fear and incompetence, or athleticism and confidence? Another factor that may be hurting you is your gait. Do you walk with confidence (but without strutting!), or shuffle around squeaking your clogs? I cannot overemphasize the importance of these two things, but the most important thing of course is penis size. Program directors know. I know you think you've got them fooled, but they can always tell a faker. They know. I'm telling you - they know.
don't rule out the power of pheromones. seriously. good thing, too, because while my pheromones are out of this world, i don't have a penis.

don't rule out the power of pheromones. seriously. good thing, too, because while my pheromones are out of this world, i don't have a penis.

No penis? What were you thinking?!

What about a neck? Do you have a neck? They're not really welcome in ortho, as I understand it.

I really like the field and am interested in applying, just wondering what you guys realistically think my chances are of matching in Ortho, here's my stats:

Step I: 251/99
GPA: 3.96
not AOA
no research
avg. clinical grades (mostly HP, some H, haven't had surgery yet)

I'm also considering Rads, and I need to make a decision soon :)
I really have no strong preference as far as location, and I will probably rank as many places as possible.

To answer your question, yes, you have an awesome chance of matching into ortho. Apply to some great schools...you have a good chance of getting interviews to the best. Don't take Step 2 until March or Feb. Do some research early your 4th year so you can put it down on your ERAS. Every number of mine is lower than your's (except for clinical grades), and I got a good amount of interviews. Good luck.