• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
  • Free admissions webinar for pre-vets! “Apply Smarter” Webinar

james07

10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2008
Status
Non-Student
I've been considering a career in Pharmacy but I'm not exactly sure if it's right for me yet. I plan on starting off in community college to study and become a pharmacy tech, i figure that would be a good way to determine wether it's for me or not. But I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what specific classes I should take to determine wether this would be something for me?

UNMorBUST

Mystery Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2008
Land Of Enchantment(Burque Baby)
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I've been considering a career in Pharmacy but I'm not exactly sure if it's right for me yet. I plan on starting off in community college to study and become a pharmacy tech, i figure that would be a good way to determine wether it's for me or not. But I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what specific classes I should take to determine wether this would be something for me?
Go on to the website of the schools you plan to attend. They will have a list of prereq classes. So take those classes for starters. Then i shadow shadow shadow. Or volunteer of work in a pharmacy. That way you know exactly what you are getting in to.

james07

10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2008
Status
Non-Student
thanks, would starting off as a Pharmacy Tech be a good idea as well? I figure I could get some degree of experience if I worked as a Tech first.

About the Ads

serpant55

10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2008
Status
It's a great idea. Admissions Comittees love to see pharm experience, the more the better. Plus it'll help later for getting a recommendation from a pharmacist. Good luck :)

RxWildcat

Julius Randle BEASTMODE!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
You could get a job as a tech but don't go to school to be a tech, that's a huge waste of time and money. If you really want to get a better idea of pharmacy I would try and shadow a pharmacist either at a hospital or at a community pharmacy. As far as which classes to take, I would look at the pre-req classes of the college of pharmacy you are most interested in applying to and take some of those classes. If you haven't completed any coursework I would lean towards taking general chemistry and general bio to get a feel for science classes.

james07

10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2008
Status
Non-Student
You could get a job as a tech but don't go to school to be a tech.
Really because I thought you had to go to school in order to be a Pharmacy tech, would they actually train me on the job? I don't have any previous employment experience.

RxWildcat

Julius Randle BEASTMODE!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
Yea, they will train you on the job, no schooling required.

jmoini

10+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2008
West Coast is the best coast
Status
Pharmacist
i would apply to a lot of places though.

i remember applying to walgreens, costco, cvs, etc.... i didn't get a word back from anyone except walgreens. i went to a few stores and they said they weren't hiring but i'd be on a waitlist.

a few months later i finally got a position through a family friend at an independent.

if you can't get work, at least volunteer somewhere so you'll get a sense of what it's like. good luck.

About the Ads