Considering career in Pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

james07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been considering a career in Pharmacy but I'm not exactly sure if it's right for me yet. I plan on starting off in community college to study and become a pharmacy tech, i figure that would be a good way to determine wether it's for me or not. But I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what specific classes I should take to determine wether this would be something for me?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been considering a career in Pharmacy but I'm not exactly sure if it's right for me yet. I plan on starting off in community college to study and become a pharmacy tech, i figure that would be a good way to determine wether it's for me or not. But I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what specific classes I should take to determine wether this would be something for me?
Go on to the website of the schools you plan to attend. They will have a list of prereq classes. So take those classes for starters. Then i shadow shadow shadow. Or volunteer of work in a pharmacy. That way you know exactly what you are getting in to.

thanks, would starting off as a Pharmacy Tech be a good idea as well? I figure I could get some degree of experience if I worked as a Tech first.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a great idea. Admissions Comittees love to see pharm experience, the more the better. Plus it'll help later for getting a recommendation from a pharmacist. Good luck :)

You could get a job as a tech but don't go to school to be a tech, that's a huge waste of time and money. If you really want to get a better idea of pharmacy I would try and shadow a pharmacist either at a hospital or at a community pharmacy. As far as which classes to take, I would look at the pre-req classes of the college of pharmacy you are most interested in applying to and take some of those classes. If you haven't completed any coursework I would lean towards taking general chemistry and general bio to get a feel for science classes.

You could get a job as a tech but don't go to school to be a tech.

Really because I thought you had to go to school in order to be a Pharmacy tech, would they actually train me on the job? I don't have any previous employment experience.

i would apply to a lot of places though.

i remember applying to walgreens, costco, cvs, etc.... i didn't get a word back from anyone except walgreens. i went to a few stores and they said they weren't hiring but i'd be on a waitlist.

a few months later i finally got a position through a family friend at an independent.

if you can't get work, at least volunteer somewhere so you'll get a sense of what it's like. good luck.