Considering Dental School after MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoseNorton

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, have any of you heard of anyone who completed medical school who subsequently applied to a four year dental school? Would the Dental adcoms look down on this decision? I do not believe someone who just received his MD would be too specialized to consider a career in dentistry.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, have any of you heard of anyone who completed medical school who subsequently applied to a four year dental school? Would the Dental adcoms look down on this decision? I do not believe someone who just received his MD would be too specialized to consider a career in dentistry.

You would breeze through it...pretty much exact same classes except for the lab work.

Doc, thanks for the reply! I am growing increasingly interested in dentistry, but do not want to drop out of medical school without doing more research on its fields. I really want to follow through and get my MD degree before considering any significant career choices.

With that said, would Dental schools look down on the fact that I already have an MD when I am applying to dental school? I have heard in some cases they may like students straight out from college who are a relatively clean slate...

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course. Some Oral Surgeon have both MD and DDS/DMD degrees (they do a 6 year residency after dental school).

But what really brings you to dentistry? There's a great number of medical school residencies out there that model the field of dentistry. You should do some more researching and exploring there before jumping ship to dentistry...It would be a great soul-searching experience IMO.

You do realize that you're going to need to relearn stuff to take the DAT, right? Who will write your letters of recommendations? I mean, how are you going to break the news to same people that mentored and educated you? It seems like a tough road ahead for you. It's much tougher to leave something than to enter something new. However, if you think it's worth all the trouble in the world (to face this adversity) to switch to dentistry, then I wish you an immense amount of luck - because that's dedication right there!

Doc, thanks for the reply! I am growing increasingly interested in dentistry, but do not want to drop out of medical school without doing more research on its fields. I really want to follow through and get my MD degree before considering any significant career choices.

With that said, would Dental schools look down on the fact that I already have an MD when I am applying to dental school? I have heard in some cases they may like students straight out from college who are a relatively clean slate...

Well...they know you are very knowledgeable (in all the science classes) and capable of the courseload in dental school.
They know you will succeed which is a big plus.

I'm curious as to why you'd want to do this considering the high cost of both MD school and dental school?

I'm curious as to why you'd want to do this considering the high cost of both MD school and dental school?

Good point.

With medical residencies you receive a stipend.

But if you go into dentistry, you have to shell out at least 35-40k per year (not including food, shelter, utilities, etc.).

There are a lot of medical considerations that are a concern for dental procedures and you can certainly use an MD degree to your advantage. You will find a number of dentists that have dual degrees and it might behoove you to chat with them. It would be advisable to talk to some ds that you may be interested in attending to get their input into your equation. As you suggested, quitting mid stream is not a good option.

My advice would definitely be to finish. I had an epiphany of sorts too, and I left after my third year of med school. It took a lot to convince dental adcoms that my interest was serious, and that I wouldn't bolt their school if I became jaded with dentistry. As long as your marks in school are legit, try to do as best you can on the DAT and you should have no problem getting in.

no, in fact it may work to your advantage. Columbia (for example) has an accelerated program for people who already have their MD: http://dental.columbia.edu/education/physicians_meds.htm

this is not about being capable or qualified. there are more qualified than seats available.

this is a natural response to ObamaCare, and also about accumulating credentials which is currently endemic within our society.

in the future, we will be served coffee at starbucks by PhDs. :laugh:

Not funny. I'd like to see you go through a PhD program and face the job market right now. Also, what are you implying about the people serving coffee at starbucks? Check yourself before you start checking other people. Who are you and what do you do right now? I'd like to see you serve coffee at Starbucks. Try it. I'll be impressed if you can hang...

this is not about being capable or qualified. there are more qualified than seats available.

this is a natural response to ObamaCare, and also about accumulating credentials which is currently endemic within our society.

True. Social Security/Medicare by FDR and LBJ also put some hurt, but they actually ended up HELPING the healthcare industry with dollars being allocated for medical residencies (specifically under Medicare). Who knows what "Obamacare" may provide future doctors of this generation. All I know is that for Obamacare to work, more practitioners are needed - either by making Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants equivalent to Family Physicians or by opening more medical schools or spots at already established medical schools. Everyone is scared of rationing...but honestly, if no one has ever noticed, what insurance companies have done the last several decades is ration services as well. And if someone is afraid of rationing (and appointment delay) and has money, an emerging industry in healthcare is boutique medicine, which is basically 24 hours/365 days of medical services available that you buy into at an annual or monthly rate. It's quite profitable as well, but I assume can be grueling and tiring (but what job/career isn't?).

The last part of your post :thumbdown:
I highly respect people with PhDs and would be very careful to mention it in general. I assume that all love what they do and would fight until the end to keep their jobs. It's a already tough enough to earn a PhD, so I respect all their hardwork and dedication. So I can't say they will settle into jobs that are "meaningless" to them just to get by. The academic world isn't that much at risk, so...yeah.

Last edited: