Considering DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is really no difference in the education between all the schools. They all teach the same topics from the same books with the same mnemonics. Some have slightly more connections some have less. The connections mean nothing if you dont have the skills to get the most out of them.

Members don't see this ad.

There is really no difference in the education between all the schools. They all teach the same topics from the same books with the same mnemonics. Some have slightly more connections some have less. The connections mean nothing if you dont have the skills to get the most out of them.

:thumbup: that's where I was going with it

'best school' is a worthless discussion. find a program that fits you. find an educational system in which you will succeed. The thing about medical schools (as opposed to say, law school), is that there really isn't a dedicated 'tier' system. Getting into a school is the bottleneck/difficulty. With VERY few exceptions, our degree (MD/DO) is not handed out lightly. Each school prepares you to be a physician... it's up to the student to become an 'exceptional physician'. People need to cool it with the best/worst schools thing because it's never really productive. I've meet students from almost all of them and I've seen good ones and bad ones from each.

Just sayin... medical education is a much more narrow band of quality. 'Top' tier isn't light years ahead of 'low' tier.

Well said. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't discount RVU for the for-profit classification. I go to RVU and I love it! We also currently have the highest pass rate for Step 1 with about 10-15 scores still pending. Awesome school, but you will definitely need a better MCAT score to get in.

Don't discount RVU for the for-profit classification. I go to RVU and I love it! We also currently have the highest pass rate for Step 1 with about 10-15 scores still pending. Awesome school, but you will definitely need a better MCAT score to get in.

..... if you mean COMLEX level 1, you're wrong. My school has 97% this year and there are still 3 or 4 schools above us with 98 and 99% pass rates.

If you mean USMLE step 1, there is a DO school that tracks the people who take it and has a 100% pass rate on the USMLE (this is as of two years ago, but I doubt that changed dramatically if at all) for the people who do opt to take it.

I'm not saying this to discount RVU. Just sayin: don't drink the kool-aid without checking the facts. Plus, wouldn't 10-15 scores be about 10% of your class? And isn't it safe to assume that the people who didnt take it til august are the most likely to fail? I'm being critical to make a point, it very well could work out that you pull a 100% pass rate and my whole comment would be moot; but don't go bragging before all the scores are in and until you've fact checked the claim versus the actual accomplishments recorded out there.

..... if you mean COMLEX level 1, you're wrong. My school has 97% this year and there are still 3 or 4 schools above us with 98 and 99% pass rates.

If you mean USMLE step 1, there is a DO school that tracks the people who take it and has a 100% pass rate on the USMLE (this is as of two years ago, but I doubt that changed dramatically if at all) for the people who do opt to take it.

I'm not saying this to discount RVU. Just sayin: don't drink the kool-aid without checking the facts. Plus, wouldn't 10-15 scores be about 10% of your class? And isn't it safe to assume that the people who didnt take it til august are the most likely to fail? I'm being critical to make a point, it very well could work out that you pull a 100% pass rate and my whole comment would be moot; but don't go bragging before all the scores are in and until you've fact checked the claim versus the actual accomplishments recorded out there.

It's COMLEX. And, yes, right now we have a 99% first-time pass rate with only one fail reported. Numero uno! Let's theorize and say those 10-15 don't pass. We would still have a +90% pass rate. Yes, it probably will go down when the rest of the scores come in, but I think we're doing pretty darn well for a school that's been around only three years.

For the first two years, I agree. For core rotations, I think the quality can vary an appreciable amount. That said however, I would be more than happy at any of the DO schools.

Rotations are where osteopathic medical schools fail. It is not uncommon for DO students to have no significant inpatient care during their 3rd year. This statement does not apply to all schools or to all students at a particular osteopathic medical school. You can try to make up for any deficient in your education with 4th year electives, however.

Rotations are where osteopathic medical schools fail. It is not uncommon for DO students to have no significant inpatient care during their 3rd year. This statement does not apply to all schools or to all students at a particular osteopathic medical school. You can try to make up for any deficient in your education with 4th year electives, however.

Very sad, but I think you're right. Out of the complaints I have read about osteopathic schools, this is the biggest issue that I have come across (especially at the newer schools). I suppose a lot of it stems from the fact that very few DO schools have a teaching hospital associated directly with school, which almost all MD schools have.

Just to be clear, though. 5 of my 8 core rotations are inpatient at high volume, level 1 trauma centers. The other 3 rotations (fam medicine, peds, and pysch) are out patient associated with small community hospitals. So, overall, I think my 3rd year training will be fine, but this isn't the case for all DO students.

It's COMLEX. And, yes, right now we have a 99% first-time pass rate with only one fail reported. Numero uno! Let's theorize and say those 10-15 don't pass. We would still have a +90% pass rate. Yes, it probably will go down when the rest of the scores come in, but I think we're doing pretty darn well for a school that's been around only three years.

Not too long ago I remember RVU saying they had an 87% pass rate... There was a thread on SDN. Am I missing something?

Not too long ago I remember RVU saying they had an 87% pass rate... There was a thread on SDN. Am I missing something?

I think USMLE is around 90% right now. Maybe that's what you're remembering? I don't know the numbers for the second round of exams, but for COMLEX 1, we currently have the 99%.