Considering dropping out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lonelypanda

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a current second semester, and just over a month ago moved to my school officially My mental health started declining very shortly after the move and has just gotten worse. Now I am 5 weeks away from the end of the semester, and I feel trapped in veterinary school. I am incredibly homesick, and the move triggered a huge depressive episode. Because of this and my overall dislike of the school for me, I am considering dropping out. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a chance to reapply to different veterinary schools in a few years when my mental health is more stable if I do decide to withdrawal? COVID just makes everything so much harder than usual, and I don't think studying abroad is good for me personally. Any advice helps <3

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
Hey,
First of all I hope you know you're not alone and most people's inboxes are usually open to talk-including mine. I may not have specific experience to help, but am always willing to listen to a vent or talk to. Have you spoken with a professional yet? If not, that is the first things I recommend. Secondly, if you feel like you need to withdrawal it's totally possible, as is taking a gap year-talk to your administration directly. Since you mentioned you're abroad you could see about potentially transferring to a school back in the states. Just keep in mind if you do withdrawal completely it may be difficult to regain admission somewhere and you may have to explain why you withdrew previously. Definitely not saying that it is impossible, just things to think about-getting accepted this year doesn't mean you'll get accepted again, also doesn't mean you won't. I think it's important that you figure out exactly what it is you dislike about the school that's making you want to drop out, because what you dislike may not change or may be the same no matter where you go to school. I highly recommend seeking professional help first and foremost as they are going to be best equipped to help you in your situation.

Reactions: 1 users
People can usually take time off from vet school for mental health reasons. Have you spoken with your school's administration about how you're feeling? I can't imagine you're alone in your situation -- it has been a terrible year for mental health.

Please take care of yourself regardless. There are many paths to veterinary careers, and even though it can feel like a runaway train sometimes, there are many paths to getting a DVM -- some roads more winding than others. I would recommend prioritizing your own mental health first and career second. You can make the career happen, but not if you are physically or mentally unwell.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

I am a current second semester, and just over a month ago moved to my school officially My mental health started declining very shortly after the move and has just gotten worse. Now I am 5 weeks away from the end of the semester, and I feel trapped in veterinary school. I am incredibly homesick, and the move triggered a huge depressive episode. Because of this and my overall dislike of the school for me, I am considering dropping out. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a chance to reapply to different veterinary schools in a few years when my mental health is more stable if I do decide to withdrawal? COVID just makes everything so much harder than usual, and I don't think studying abroad is good for me personally. Any advice helps <3
Not sure if you go to Ross or not but I had the exact same problem when I first moved down to Ross. In fact I remember calling my parents the first night I got back to Island to start second semester about how miserable I was, I actually called them the next night too extremely upset about how I don't think that I could stay on the island and I felt miserable and trapped. I ended up posting on the students page to anyone that struggled adjusting to island life and I got an outpouring of DMs of support and plenty of people that felt the same way. The biggest thing here is to know you are not alone, there are plenty of people that feel the same way and its honestly up to you to make the choice if you want to leave or stay. I ended up sticking it out and am almost done with 5th (provided I pass lol). I know a couple people that did end up withdrawing one girl realized vetmed wasn't for her and another just couldn't adjust to island life. I would recommend talking to the school's mental health services about how you're feeling and what you're thinking, they have some great resources to help you out.

On a complete tangent, would you mind sharing what depressed you about living on Saint Kitts? Although I've never been there, it would seem like the most difficult thing about going to professional school on a Caribbean Island would be actually focusing on school.

On a complete tangent, would you mind sharing what depressed you about living on Saint Kitts? Although I've never been there, it would seem like the most difficult thing about going to professional school on a Caribbean Island would be actually focusing on school.
I think it really depends on your personality, I have classmates that love it here and consider it their "second home". I however am an introvert and an overall homebody so I just have a harder time making friends so I felt kinda lonely. Also since its outside the US theres a different culture and not everything is as easily accessible as it is in the States. I'm much more comfortable with being here now but it was hard in the beginning.

Reactions: 1 user