Considering EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTP

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am currently a PGY2 in FM right now and I really enjoy EM. I always have and was debating FM and EM come 4th year. [I really wish they had that combined FM/EM residency 2 years earlier] Well now I am really thinking about pursuing an EM residency after I finish. I could just work as and "pseudo-EM" physician in rural-town; however, I would rather be "properly" trained and I dont want to limit where I can work/live.
I friend of mine was tellin me doing a second residency is next to impossible as programs dont get any funding for physicans doing second residencies. Is this true? If so are my chances shot?
If it is possible, what can I do, in preparation, to improve my chances of gettin into EM residency. I never was a really good test taker so didnt do to hot on the steps. I am going to doing 2 additional months of EM as elective in 3rs year and another month of peds EM. I am pretty sure I can get excellent LORs from EM and other faculity. Anything else I can do at this point?
thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

My limited understanding of these issues amounts to this:

Yes, some programs won't look at you if you've already burned through a few of your federally-funded postgraduate training years -- but some will. It's institution-dependent. My advice is to call the PD at places you're interested in and ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know my program, USF in Tampa, accepts (and loves) people who have previous training. it makes for a very well rounded resident.

I had none of the previous, and wasn't the latter.
Q

What are these magical EM/FM programs? I know about Cristiana in Delaware...is that the only one, or are there others?

I believe there are other but they are not going through ERAS.