business2pt

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2008
Status
Post Doc
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on going back to school for physical therapy. I graduated in 2006 with a degree in business and have since worked in an office doing marketing research/consulting. I'm really not happy for a variety of reasons and besides looking for a new job I have begun considering going back to school for PT. I've gotten some advice from a friend who is currently in med school and has some friends in PT programs about pre-reqs and what I'd have to do to be admitted, but I would love to hear some advice from anyone who also went the non-traditional route in this field. Any advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

fireflygirl

The Ultimate Blindian
10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on going back to school for physical therapy. I graduated in 2006 with a degree in business and have since worked in an office doing marketing research/consulting. I'm really not happy for a variety of reasons and besides looking for a new job I have begun considering going back to school for PT. I've gotten some advice from a friend who is currently in med school and has some friends in PT programs about pre-reqs and what I'd have to do to be admitted, but I would love to hear some advice from anyone who also went the non-traditional route in this field. Any advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
For a minute there I thought you were my best friend who is doing the same exact same thing but then I noticed your graduation date is off :laugh:

Anyways, I'll tell you exactly what I told her. If you haven't taken a science course since high school, think about a post-baccalaureate program. You can read more about them in the post-bac threads where they are outlined in great detail. Ultimately these programs give you the opportunity to take your science courses and prepare for application. You may want to talk to some of the folks at some PT schools you are interested in and get some advice from them; personally, I think this is the best way for you to figure out what steps you have to take to be a competitive candidate for PT school. Also, you may want to check out the PT forum as well on SDN. Finally, find out if your friends in PT school shadowed other PTs and find out if you can do the same. No matter where you go, they are going to want to see that you have invested some time in the industry and learned something about it to enhance your interest. And it'll give you a stronger sense of whether you want to make the change as well. Good luck to you!