considering M.D./Ph.D. ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jason O

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
wanted to know if any research oriented post-bacc students have considered joint M.D./Ph.D. when applying to medical school? Is it possible to take this route if you don't have a bachelors in a pure science?

Members don't see this ad.

Jason O said:
wanted to know if any research oriented post-bacc students have considered joint M.D./Ph.D. when applying to medical school? Is it possible to take this route if you don't have a bachelors in a pure science?

I'm in an MD-PhD program, and there was one person in our class whose undergraduate major was history. This guy had spent a significant amount of time after college doing research at the NIH, where I think he had a pretty good track record.

So it's definitely possible, but you have to prove you can handle the science. I think you might have to ante up with even more research than the standard applicant, and you'll probably need to use the MCAT to demonstrate that you can think quantitatively. Some extra upper-level science (grad courses maybe) couldn't hurt either.