Considering Pharmacy - Advice Appreciated

Started by xeroxAV
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

xeroxAV

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am 18 years old. When I graduated last year, I thought broadly that law seemed like a decent idea, then a bit of research informed me that law has had a catastrophic meltdown in terms of good job availability due in large part to saturation. I am aware of the BLS prediction that there will be a surplus of 50k pharmacists by 2025 and that many areas in America are already saturated, especially urban areas.

However, I live in a rural area (KY) and prefer that anyway. According to Pharmacy Manpower's demand indicator(1), Kentucky is near the top in terms of pharmacists needed (though 3.5-3.9 still doesn't seem great). I am fine with living anywhere in the KY-OH-IN area. I would actually probably prefer retail to hospital work.

If I should become a pharmacist, should I attend UK or Appalachian College of Pharmacy, or any other regional school? I plan to get a BS (which I can have done in the next two years) then head to pharmacy school, if I do.

Any thoughts or help is appreciated.


(1) https://pharmacymanpower.com/map.php
 
Don't get a Bachelor's degree which takes students 4 years. Take all pre-reqs; take PTCB test to earn the certificate, apply for pharm tech license, and a tech job; take PCAT then apply for a pharmacy school. Don't apply for many schools if your GPA is great.

I didn't know demand indicator for North CA, which is where I live, is 4. Hah!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get a BS. Take all pre-reqs; take PTCB test to earn the certification, apply for pharm tech license, and a tech job; take PCAT then apply for a pharmacy school. Don't apply many schools if your GPA is great.

I've never really considered not getting a BS, my family has always nudged me toward it but I'm aware it's not strictly necessary. I graduated high school w/ a decent number of credit hours, it'd be pretty simple to get one and I thought it'd make pharmacy school easier, because I'd get in easier and already have covered some of the curriculum. Should I skip it purely to get the Pharm. D faster?

I will definitely get a tech job before my first pharmacy school student loans, and I have a 4.0 but to be fair I only have like two semesters under my belt.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I skipped it to save time and money. I also applied for just one school to save $.
I worked as a pharm tech to learn about the career and to earn some $
 
Avoid 4 years if you can. That's just a waste of time unless you want to consider other options. You can finish all the pre-reqs within 3 years (2 if you take a full load). Some pharmacy schools will allow undergrads without a BS to get a BS in pharmaceuticals sciences or something by the time they reach their third yr of pharmacy school. Therefore, you graduate with a BS and a PharmD.