PELE#10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2005
Status
Hi,
I just wanted to get some advice about even trying to apply for PMR. I have also considered Neurology but my first love is truly PMR.

My worries have to do with My board score which I barely passed (step 1) and I am also an IMG. What can I do to improve my chances? Unless you think my chances are shot... Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Taus

10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Philly
Status
Attending Physician
I'm only an MSII, but my best advice would be to try to get some good elective/audition rotations in well-known PM&R programs. Making connections and getting "name" letters of recommendation seem to be very important in PM&R. Getting some meaningful research and a solid Step II score should also help. Also, look into programs that have traditionally taken a large % of IMGs (my guess would be some NY programs) and apply very very broadly. Good luck.

OMMFellow06

PM&R Resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Status
I fully agree with what Taus said. Don't give up hope just b/c your Step 1 score wasn't so good. PM&R is not one of those fields in which only those with great grades get a residency. Doing a rotation at a program that you are considering is very important. If you do well and make an impression, you can get past that low score. Also kick ass on Step 2.

About the Ads

axm397

SDN Moderator
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2003
texas
Status
Attending Physician
Agree with all of the above:
components of your application:
grades
board scores
letters of rec
personal statement
+/- research
performance on your elective
interview skills/personality

grades and board scores you can't change (except doing well on step 2) the rest you can still change.

would recommend starting earlier in your 3rd year to land good electives. Start contacting programs and get info. Definitely cast your net wide.

Also see if your med school has alums in PM&R - see where they trained. Try to get in touch w those ppl.

PainDr

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2003
Visit site
Status
I just wanted to get some advice about even trying to apply for PMR. I have also considered Neurology but my first love is truly PMR.
You've GOT to be kidding!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :eek: :laugh: :rolleyes: Sorry, I just couldn't decide which emotion was more appropriate.

For those who may be confused, please see the neuro forum, "...barely passing step 1 score..." :scared: :scared: :scared:

About the Ads