Considering school in Chile

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jurdd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
rst a little background information..

I'm currently living in Chile, I'm from the US. I'm planing on staying here unless something goes horribly wrong. Fighting off some dumb kid that tried to rob me didn't do it, see if it gets worse.

As far as my history. I'm 26, did a few years in the Marines, 2 years in Afghanistan and traveled all over. After I got out I went to college for a bit, I enjoyed it but wanted to get right to medicine so I got my EMT done.

I really enjoy medicine but would rather be in school working towards my MD or equivalent. I would like to stay in Chile for school / work after. I realize it's not as simple as "I'm an American, love me, I have a few credits but I'm American." I'm curious if I can get started at all in the program and what the pre-reqs are like.

Here are my concerns:

1. My Spanish is horrible as of right now, I'm working on it, it should get better really fast. I became conversationally fluent in Farsi in a year, Spanish should be a lot easier. Is that going to be a killer in med school though or are there enough cognates and english / greek / latin that I can make it.

2. Admission, can I get in? I have roughly 80 credits in the US, around a 3.8. I'm just not sure what they want. Do I need to finish my undergrad first etc? Something like the MCAT? Or is it easier to get in to here than the US.

3. Financial issues, I've got about 25k USD saved up that I can spend but would prefer not to. I'm guessing scholarship / loans are difficult for a foreigner.

That's just what comes to mind right now, I'm living in Vina Del Mar / Valparaiso. I know U of Valparaiso has a med program. I know I need to learn a lot more Spanish so I wouldn't consider it for a year or so. I've also considered studying more A&P and terminology in Spanish before hand.

I tried to find useful information before I posted. I doubt this is the first time it's come up. If anyone has any links or suggestions please let me know. I would hate to have to give up on this dream but it might be almost out of reach.

Any information you can provide would be great, even pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

Jered

Members don't see this ad.