Consolidated for REPAYE, loans automatically went into forbearance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AcutelyObtuse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I consolidated my loans immediately after graduating med school in late May in hopes of getting the 50% interest subsidy ASAP and Great Lakes finally notified me today that the consolidation process is complete. However for some reason, my loans are currently in forbearance even though I submitted the application for REPAYE through the FSA website. For anyone that previously went through this process, is this just a temporary thing or do I need to contact my loan servicer and verify that they received my REPAYE application? Is there something else that I missed?

The website is also still showing my previous unconsolidated loan so it looks as if my balance doubled. I assume this will be corrected in time though...

Members don't see this ad.

The same thing just happened to me, so I emailed them about it. My consolidation is showing as complete but it says I am in forbearance until August and then I will owe a significant payment (much more than the REPAYE I requested). They responded Monday telling me the consolidation part was complete and that they automatically place it in a 60 day forbearance while they process the payment schedule. They stated no interest would accrue due to this forbearance but that I could stop it if I wished. They were not my servicer before so they did not have my loan information from prior to application for consolidation. Maybe that is why yours shows both. Today I received an email saying they were processing my REPAYE request and would send a payment schedule when it was completed.