Consolidated for REPAYE, loans automatically went into forbearance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AcutelyObtuse

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I consolidated my loans immediately after graduating med school in late May in hopes of getting the 50% interest subsidy ASAP and Great Lakes finally notified me today that the consolidation process is complete. However for some reason, my loans are currently in forbearance even though I submitted the application for REPAYE through the FSA website. For anyone that previously went through this process, is this just a temporary thing or do I need to contact my loan servicer and verify that they received my REPAYE application? Is there something else that I missed?

The website is also still showing my previous unconsolidated loan so it looks as if my balance doubled. I assume this will be corrected in time though...
 
The same thing just happened to me, so I emailed them about it. My consolidation is showing as complete but it says I am in forbearance until August and then I will owe a significant payment (much more than the REPAYE I requested). They responded Monday telling me the consolidation part was complete and that they automatically place it in a 60 day forbearance while they process the payment schedule. They stated no interest would accrue due to this forbearance but that I could stop it if I wished. They were not my servicer before so they did not have my loan information from prior to application for consolidation. Maybe that is why yours shows both. Today I received an email saying they were processing my REPAYE request and would send a payment schedule when it was completed.