Consolidating loans

Started by Hendlefe
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hendlefe

Pharmacy Resident
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently not a student and will be getting some loans soon. Can I use my public or private loans to pay off my credit cards and my mom's credit as well? She owes like 2 grand for seeing a dentist. I have a few credit cards with about 3-4k debt. I also want to buy a laptop for school so maybe another 1k.

Can I lump all of my credit debt into a loan?

Thanks
 
Hi OP,
Have you considered getting a balance transfer to another credit card? That can hold you off for 6 months with zero interest. Just pay it off completely and dont let it go on beyond the introductory/promotion period and youll be fine. I've never done this myself but in theory it sounds very good.
Best of luck.

here are some examples to check out:

 
Thanks for the response. I doubt I can pay off my credit cards plus my moms dental credit by the time I start school. I want to move all of my credit onto a loan so I can pay it off after graduation. I know that some loans won't allow me to use it on anything I want
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently not a student and will be getting some loans soon. Can I use my public or private loans to pay off my credit cards and my mom's credit as well? She owes like 2 grand for seeing a dentist. I have a few credit cards with about 3-4k debt. I also want to buy a laptop for school so maybe another 1k.

Can I lump all of my credit debt into a loan?

Thanks

Not into a federal student loan. You might be able to in a private loan with a much higher interest rate.
 
I am currently not a student and will be getting some loans soon. Can I use my public or private loans to pay off my credit cards and my mom's credit as well? She owes like 2 grand for seeing a dentist. I have a few credit cards with about 3-4k debt. I also want to buy a laptop for school so maybe another 1k.

Can I lump all of my credit debt into a loan?

Thanks

You can receive student loans - and use that money, after tuition is paid - for whatever you wish. I do not recommend it - but it is certainly possible.