Consultation-Liaison with Private Panel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vespers

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Do most C-L jobs occupy 40-60 hours of the week? Or has anyone encountered positions (I'd guess on a team or with partner(s)) with 30-40, so that you have time to carry a small, private outpatient therapy panel.

I know that a "mixed practice" is fairly common; just unsure what the mix typically is.

Members don't see this ad.

It's doable.

But one of the benefits of a 100% C/L is no call, no outpatient issues pending or needing a timely fix. When you step away from the hospital, you are off the clock. Hard to give that up for a small clinic, unless your goal is to switch from CL to clinic over time.

Your Big Box Shop might not exactly permit you to do a side practice either... read the contract.

Members don't see this ad :)
Output cl? Please expound on what this would look like

Not sure it's truly considered C/L but I have seen an outpatient integrated care clinic C/L position where I'm in residency. Basically they hang out all day in Primary care clinic and do an outpatient consult for the FM guys. This gets messy at times because since it's outpatient, if you assume care then basically after a few months you just become an outpatient psychiatrist since you continue following your consults and lose room in schedule for new consults. When done as designed (which I haven't really seen to be honest) it would be an outpatient C/L position though.

Output cl? Please expound on what this would look like
C-L psychiatry has now transitioned into the oupatient setting including collaborative care, integrated care, OB and perinatal psychiatry, psycho-oncology, transplant psychiatry, HIV psychiatry etc. This term is used to describe different levels of care from consultation to tertiary care, primary care consultation, collaborative care (where the psychiatrist does not see any patients themselves), co-location (where psychiatrist is located in a medical or surgical clinic), and integrated care (where psychiatrist sees patients and also communicates and discusses care with care managers and referring physicians).

Work can include doing evaluations for bariatric surgery, transplant recipient evaluations, living donor evaluations, evaluations for physician assisted dying (in states that have this), perioperative psychiatric management (e.g. patients needing DBS, transplants), evaluations for spinal stimulators. It may involve using registries to provide population care. It might involve providing recommendations via chart review only. It might include have multidisciplinary meetings to discuss patients for complex care coordination. When used in the loosest sense, it might include patients treated like standard outpatients except occuring in the medical setting or patients with complex medical comorbidities. It could also include aftercare clinics for patients discharged from hospital who need specialized brief follow up afterwards.

I have a Post-COVID clinic. Patients following discharge from ICU are seen in multidisciplinary follow up clinic and are screened and those screening positive for depression, anxiety, PTSD, cognitive dysfunction, are seen by psychology and neuropsychiatry. We provide assessment and recommendations for pulmonology to institute (e..g. I don't do any of the prescribing). If they need further treatment they are referred on. Patients who have pre-existing psychopathology, as opposed to post-ICU syndrome or neuropsychiatric complications of COVID, are excluded. We also have access to neuroimmunological assessment now, if patients are suspected to have autoimmune neuropsychiatric complications of COVID.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it common to have an inpatient CL job that includes clinic time at the same institution, or do people more often find jobs at multiple institutions? I imagine one could negotiate whatever suits them better but is one arrangement more common or better? I have heard that two part time jobs ends up being more work than a single full time job... but at my institution it seems that most attendings work part time in multiple settings.

Is it common to have an inpatient CL job that includes clinic time at the same institution, or do people more often find jobs at multiple institutions? I imagine one could negotiate whatever suits them better but is one arrangement more common or better? I have heard that two part time jobs ends up being more work than a single full time job... but at my institution it seems that most attendings work part time in multiple settings.

None of our C/L faculty (at an academic institution) have other clinical responsibilities other than the C/L service.

In private practice, the few people that I have met that do C/L work tend to do it in addition to other inpatient or clinic responsibilities.