Consulting and Inventing in Dermatology

Started by Gunneria
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gunneria

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I always wondered alternative side jobs that dermatologists (and other physicians) engage in on the side of just practicing medicine, research, and teaching.

Consulting:
I noticed that a lot of dermatologists (I'm guessing mostly in the academic setting) serve as consultants to dermatology-treatment companies (galderma, phototherapy, etc...) How does one get to a level to be hired as a part-time consultant in addition to maintaining a steady practice? OR are such positions reserved for academic chairs? Is there a huge financial incentive in being a part-time consultant to such companies (perhaps not just even in derm)

Inventions:
How does a dermatologist take part in inventing/patenting and eventually marketing the next novel laser or topical therapy? Not sure if there are any novel surgieries (i.e.- Mohs) left to be discovered but I am always curious.

Overall, I'm sure other specialties may offer more potential in these jobs and perhaps additional other than dermatology, but these ideas came to mind and I wanted to hear it from someone more knowledgeable.

Thanks.