consulting...family life?

Started by shizzles
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shizzles

*** Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am seriously considering going into consulting after I complete medical school. I am worried, however, about the traveling: I don't mind it now, but I know that after about 5 or so years, I'll want to settle down and have children. Can people who want to see their families every day, and not just talk to them on the phone from a hotel room every night, do well in this field? I find consulting extremely interesting--more so than I have found medical school to be--but I am afraid that eventually wanting children will jeopardize my ability to advance further in the field. Any perspectives?
 
Think about long-term plans. What would you want to do after consulting? Even clinical medicine can be busy depending on your type of work, setting, etc. The world of business is busy in different ways - not with being on call, but with other deadlines, client meetings, corporate pressures, etc. So, the world of non-clinical medicine is not necessarily less busy compared to clinical medicine.