Quantcast

consulting...family life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shizzles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I am seriously considering going into consulting after I complete medical school. I am worried, however, about the traveling: I don't mind it now, but I know that after about 5 or so years, I'll want to settle down and have children. Can people who want to see their families every day, and not just talk to them on the phone from a hotel room every night, do well in this field? I find consulting extremely interesting--more so than I have found medical school to be--but I am afraid that eventually wanting children will jeopardize my ability to advance further in the field. Any perspectives?

DrJosephKim

Advisor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Think about long-term plans. What would you want to do after consulting? Even clinical medicine can be busy depending on your type of work, setting, etc. The world of business is busy in different ways - not with being on call, but with other deadlines, client meetings, corporate pressures, etc. So, the world of non-clinical medicine is not necessarily less busy compared to clinical medicine.

civic4982

FM => Geri
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Clinical medicine may have a lot of opportunities for you that might better fulfill the requirements of a home life. Just something to think about.