Consulting fees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gbwillner

Pastafarian
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know a competitive rate for consulting fees? I will be doing some and want to know how much to charge- at least a range.

Members don't see this ad.

What are you consulting on? If you are looking at mouse histology for a researcher at your university I would charge less than reviewing slides for a lawyer or providing your expertise for a biotech start up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on what you will do. Setting up a bona fide reference lab like a PAML type operation is a HUGE undertaking...

will you be the director once it is going?

there are lots and lots of moving parts here and I wouldnt shoot from the hip with an opinion, could be anywhere between 2K and 20K a month.

What would be a range for hourly rate, part time, helping set up a new company, lab developed test only? My name not medical director. Would this require additional malpractice insurance? Any resources you can point me to would be helpful.

Last edited:
I would say at least $300 per hour. Also keep in mind that if you're doing this as contract work (no W-2), then the taxman will come after a significant portion of this income since you aren't taking out for social security, etc. Also make sure your primary contract does not conflict with this venture. Hope it goes well.

I did not want to start a new thread on a topic previously discussed, hence the two year gap.
As a follow-up, they offered me $90-110/hour. I said no.