Consulting fees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathstudent

Sound Kapital
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are you consulting on? If you are looking at mouse histology for a researcher at your university I would charge less than reviewing slides for a lawyer or providing your expertise for a biotech start up.

mlw03

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In forensic path, it's anywhere from 300/hr and up; I know of someone who charges 600.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you will do. Setting up a bona fide reference lab like a PAML type operation is a HUGE undertaking...

will you be the director once it is going?

there are lots and lots of moving parts here and I wouldnt shoot from the hip with an opinion, could be anywhere between 2K and 20K a month.

Amylacea

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would be a range for hourly rate, part time, helping set up a new company, lab developed test only? My name not medical director. Would this require additional malpractice insurance? Any resources you can point me to would be helpful.

Last edited:

Napoleon1801

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would say at least $300 per hour. Also keep in mind that if you're doing this as contract work (no W-2), then the taxman will come after a significant portion of this income since you aren't taking out for social security, etc. Also make sure your primary contract does not conflict with this venture. Hope it goes well.

Amylacea

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did not want to start a new thread on a topic previously discussed, hence the two year gap.
As a follow-up, they offered me $90-110/hour. I said no.