Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been experimenting with the idea of consumption smoothing as a amateur economist and future physician-in-training.
For some first principles: I currently live an ascetic bachelor lifestyle, and have for the better part of a decade. I'm an unattached, childless, 23-year-old M3 with no debts or obligations aside from my student loans now approaching the $200k mark. I live happily in a poorly-appointed studio apartment within walking distance of my home hospital (in a moderately expensive major city) and have no current interest in moving on up, as it were. No car. Basic cable. Library card. My total non-tuition outlays average under $1600/mo or $20k/yr.
Given that I'm a fairly strong US allopathic student, the probability that I won't someday become a practicing physician is fairly low (<5%). With that in mind, is it reasonable at some point to elevate my budget in anticipation of my future income? Friedman called this the permanent income model. At some point between 5 and 10 years from now, my net predicted income based on conservative estimates will spike overnight from 150% cost of living to >300% CoL (and potentially as high as 500%). As the marginal utility of those dollars in my early attending years will be much less than the marginal utility of dollars today (even considering the time value of money), it makes sense to smooth my consumption by elevating my budget slowly over time.
Has anyone looked at the optimal time and method to go about this for senior medical students and residents? As mentioned, I'm happy with my current standard of living, but I'm most interested in the theoretical analysis.
For some first principles: I currently live an ascetic bachelor lifestyle, and have for the better part of a decade. I'm an unattached, childless, 23-year-old M3 with no debts or obligations aside from my student loans now approaching the $200k mark. I live happily in a poorly-appointed studio apartment within walking distance of my home hospital (in a moderately expensive major city) and have no current interest in moving on up, as it were. No car. Basic cable. Library card. My total non-tuition outlays average under $1600/mo or $20k/yr.
Given that I'm a fairly strong US allopathic student, the probability that I won't someday become a practicing physician is fairly low (<5%). With that in mind, is it reasonable at some point to elevate my budget in anticipation of my future income? Friedman called this the permanent income model. At some point between 5 and 10 years from now, my net predicted income based on conservative estimates will spike overnight from 150% cost of living to >300% CoL (and potentially as high as 500%). As the marginal utility of those dollars in my early attending years will be much less than the marginal utility of dollars today (even considering the time value of money), it makes sense to smooth my consumption by elevating my budget slowly over time.
Has anyone looked at the optimal time and method to go about this for senior medical students and residents? As mentioned, I'm happy with my current standard of living, but I'm most interested in the theoretical analysis.