Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Contact DO schools about shadowing?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Bkbplayer93, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Bkbplayer93

Pre-Medical
    I've submitted secondaries to many DO schools (8 complete) already and am still waiting for secondaries from others (6 more). Some of those submitted applications are currently ready for review. I mentioned shadowing (even just briefly) in ALL of my DO secondaries, and in several secondaries I've gone into detail (ex. Why osteopathic medicine? experience with osteopathic medicine? etc.)

However, the problem is that I did not include shadowing on my AACOMAS primary, although I've done a fair share of shadowing in my time. I know - I was stupid, yes - but I thought DO schools would want me to list more hands-on activities, where I've made my biggest impacts. In a way I thought shadowing was implied. I did include my healthcare experience as a CPR-certified EMS member as well as 5 other ECs.

Would any of you suggest calling the DO schools I've finished applying to, and mention that along with what I wrote on my secondaries about shadowing, that I've definitely shadowed DO physicians (as well as MD). Or - will this simply not work?

Thanks!

2. Dr. Death

2+ Year Member

Can't you add an experience after you have submitted AACOMAS? If so I would add that activity, then email the schools you are complete at and tell them you have an updated app. Then when you are complete at the other schools do the same.

ortnakas likes this.
  3. Bkbplayer93

Pre-Medical
    If I email the school and mention my updated AACOMAS primary app, would that delay my review?

4. becomingdoctor

Pre-Medical
    If you wrote shadowing experience in your secondary essay, why do you bother to change the primary app again? I don't think schools care about things other than mcat and gpa from your primary application. There a number of schools simply ask you to repeat the information in your secondary (such as KCOM and NYIT). Don't freak out, if you invited into an interview, then talk about it during your interview; if you are not invited, shadowing a DO will not likely to change anything.

5. Bkbplayer93

Pre-Medical
    I've just heard it's key to include shadowing on the primary app, especially since schools look for exposure, so that's why I've had this mini freak out going on. I believe adcoms do care about your experiences on the primary app, because that's a way for them to gauge your skills and what you can bring to their school.

6. You're My Boy Blue

You're My Boy Blue Second Time's a Charm
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If it DOES delay your app then there's no need to add it. It sounds like you already have enough clinical experience and you can always mention DO shadowing on the secondaries.

If it DOESN'T affect the timeline of your application then I would add it. It probably won't add much to your app but it definitely won't hurt.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...