Contact Hour Calculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MysteryCat

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess shadowing, volunteering and paid work is pretty cut and dried, but what about pet ownership? Also, vet/nonvet? Are there different sections for those two? Clueless.
 
I but what about pet ownership? Also, vet/nonvet? Are there different sections for those two? Clueless.


Many schools don't include pet ownership hours. A few do, especially if it was more specialized than "fed and walked fluffy for an hour a day." Make sure you are allowed to list the hours before you go through the trouble of adding them all up. If you are, I would suggest leaning towards underestimating- you don't want to look like you are trying to desperately pad your count.

Vet/non vet is broken up on VMCAS - vet experience and animal experience. There's also an "other employment" section for other jobs and things like that, if I remember correctly
 
Thanks. I was surprised when I saw that some schools did count it. I had show horses, so hopefully I can count some of it. I also worked in a show barn, so that's good too, for "animal exp." Right now I'm working at a small animal practice, and I wondering one more thing because my hours are funky. Do you add each hour from each paystub? Or is it acceptable to say "I worked 20 hours a week here for a year, so that adds up to..." ?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks. I was surprised when I saw that some schools did count it. I had show horses, so hopefully I can count some of it. I also worked in a show barn, so that's good too, for "animal exp." Right now I'm working at a small animal practice, and I wondering one more thing because my hours are funky. Do you add each hour from each paystub? Or is it acceptable to say "I worked 20 hours a week here for a year, so that adds up to..." ?

I looked at my W2's for each year that had my number of hours listed on them. Our practice manager was a hugeeee help and was able to gather all that info for me.
For older jobs, I guesstimated based on X hours / week and rounded down to allow for holidays/days off