1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

contact lens intolerance with ocp

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by justwondering, Mar 12, 2007.

1. justwondering

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    im a med student, just wondering if u guys could tell me what kind of "contact lens intolerance" pts have with oral contraceptives. is it blurry vision, burning, or what? couldnt really find a specific answer online.
    thanks!

2. jefguth

jefguth Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Optometrist
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and take a guess since I haven't really covered contact lenses just yet, but most likely the type of discomfort we're talking about here is related to dryness. Likely symptoms could include dryness, burning, irritation, itching, exessive blinking, reflexive lacrimation, and possible blur (due to dryness and an irregular refracting surface), etc.

Why would a contact lens wear on BC experience this intolerance? Probabaly b/c the contraceptives are messing with hormone balance, in turn altering the lipid profile of the tear layer. If you want to learn more, and the specifics, do a literature search for the role of the various hormones in meibomian and lacrimal gland funtion.

Maybe someone else can be more specific?

3. OP
    OP
    justwondering

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]