Contact Tracing Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j_lo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if a part-time paid position as a COVID contact tracer with the health department would be a beneficial experience for pre-meds. Basically, it is an all-remote job calling people who have been exposed to confirmed COVID cases. It is a bilingual position so I will get to practice my spanish in a professional setting.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Define “beneficial experience for premeds”

I think this would give you better insight into public health than the medical field. This is a remote position so you really aren't going to see how medical professionals work or what that work entails. That being said, if it is something that you are interested in, and you have skills that lend themselves to the position, it certainly will not hurt your application to demonstrate that you stepped up during a public health crisis. The "really dont want to commit to 20 hours a week if schools will not care about the experience" makes me think this might not be the best fit for you...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am wondering if a part-time paid position as a COVID contact tracer with the health department would be a beneficial experience for pre-meds. I really dont want to commit to 20 hours a week if schools will not care about the experience. Basically, it is an all-remote job calling people who have been exposed to confirmed COVID cases. It is a bilingual position so I will get to practice my spanish in a professional setting.
it certainly will not hurt your application to demonstrate that you stepped up during a public health crisis.
I agree. And being able to cite a practical demonstration of your Spanish language skills is also a plus.

The only medical student included in the White House’s graduation celebrations this year was honored for her work in contact tracing.

Many medical volunteering or employment opportunities have disappeared during the pandemic. Contract tracing is one of the few that remains. It's not just relevant, it's also vitally important.

Do it --

Reactions: 2 users
I am wondering if a part-time paid position as a COVID contact tracer with the health department would be a beneficial experience for pre-meds. Basically, it is an all-remote job calling people who have been exposed to confirmed COVID cases. It is a bilingual position so I will get to practice my spanish in a professional setting.
Do it. Bilingual is a big plus. Public health experience is a big plus. And COVID is going to be a hot topic for the next couple of years and you will have a great story to tell!

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Last edited: