Contact/verification for this type of volunteer work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brockhamptonfanacct

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I volunteer, and have several leadership positions, in a grassroots, student-led organization. I am not really accountable to any one supervisor or manager; medical students created the org, and even though we have national-level leadership, they do not keep track of my hours. Most of my work is pretty independent -- I collect information and organize donations on my own, with the help of one other local regional leader. I also serve on a subcommittee; I do report to the head of that subcommittee, but again, I count my own hours and track my own performance.

I have a couple of questions:
1) Who do I put as the contact for this activity?
2) How do I ensure verification of my hours? Is there anything I can or should be doing?
I track my own hours via a Google Doc. I am also listed as leadership on the website of this org, so it's not something that has zero paper trail.
1) You can list yourself, a faculty advisor aware of the activity, or whomever can best to attest to your greatest impact: the local regional leader or the head of the subcommittee.

2) Tracking one's own hours is always a good idea, so it's well done to keep a log. For any of the last three, you might want to have a conversation with the best choice regarding when you started and your recorded hours of involvement, so you are sure they are on board with the number of Total Hours you plan to list (and being used as a Contact). There's no rush to do this, as verification is unlikely (if it happens) until you've committed to one school.

1) You can list yourself, a faculty advisor aware of the activity, or whomever can best to attest to your greatest impact: the local regional leader or the head of the subcommittee.

2) Tracking one's own hours is always a good idea, so it's well done to keep a log. For any of the last three, you might want to have a conversation with the best choice regarding when you started and your recorded hours of involvement, so you are sure they are on board with the number of Total Hours you plan to list (and being used as a Contact). There's no rush to do this, as verification is unlikely (if it happens) until you've committed to one school.

Great! Thank you very much!