Contact with Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Airplanepeanuts

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the consensus on contacting programs after the interview?

I found this in the ACAPS regulations...

There will be NO communication between faculty and applicants after the interview.

Any experiences with this?

Members don't see this ad.

Officially, contact with a program after an interview is NOT allowed. Doing so is a violation of match rules.

That is correct. You are not allowed to have contact with the faculty, but you can contact the residents if you have additional questions or concerns about the program.

This comes up every year, and I suppose it's because applicants might really want to get into a certain program. My advice is that if some place is really your top choice, you can ask a faculty member from your program to make a call on your behalf. Also understand that most (if not all) programs are going to call the people who wrote letters for you if that program is really interested in matching you. They may also talk to other faculty from your med school that didn't write letters to get another perspective.

Good luck with the interviews.

--M

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this true for people going through SF match as well or does the rule apply only to applicants of the integrated models going through ERAS/NRMP?

Is this true for people going through SF match as well or does the rule apply only to applicants of the integrated models going through ERAS/NRMP?

I didn't know the answer to this one, but I just read through the match rules for the SF match (as I hope you did as well). There is not a specific mention about program contact. There is some language about not promising positions or need for disclosing the rank list.

But please, don't be ridiculous about it. Definitely send a note to the Chair/Chief/Program Director. I wouldn't waste your time sending notes to all the faculty and residents that interviewed you.

--M

Are you sure this is okay? I did for one interview, and the PD emailed me back saying thanks but due to new regulations they cant communicate with applicants after interviews, but would be happy to answer questions about plastic surgery in general...thus for my other interviews I have not sent any thank yous

I have been at interviews and been told that they will unrank candidates who send thank you notes.....thus I did not send any thank you notes to plastic surg programs.

Munchkitten,

Which programs told you this??!!? All the places I have interviewed me so far said that it has been okay to send.

For the record, it is NOT against the rules. You are misinformed my friend.