In general:
1. The people who are available to students for questions are nowhere near the decision process.
2. You'll get one of three answers to "should I bother to apply": yes, no or I don't know. These answers will almost certainly reflect the personal bias of the speaker.
3. If, in the very rare circumstance that you get an actual decision maker to review your candidacy, that person SHOULD give you stern advice about respecting your competition, but will more likely encourage you so that you view the school as friendly on the off chance that they accept you.
In general, with GPA damage, you have to:
1. Overcompensate with the rest of your app, particularly MCAT.
2. Offer a very clear, consistent, comprehensible and relevant demonstration of your academic prowess over a long period of time that nicely counters your earlier poor showing. One year of 4.0 does not fix 4 years of 2.5, for instance. An MPH is not applicable as a counterexample to usGPA, for instance.
3. Choose whether to gamble on an app that doesn't nicely overcompensate for and nicely counter your low GPA, or whether to do more work before you apply.
My pile of more than 40 rejection letters, which I acquired before I understood the above, and before I understood just how poor my chances were, motivate this explanation. GPA redemption was SO MUCH MORE expensive and lengthy for me than would make any rational person comfortable.
Best of luck to you.