Contacting Admissions Prior to Applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cawolf

PGY-2
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In general:
1. The people who are available to students for questions are nowhere near the decision process.
2. You'll get one of three answers to "should I bother to apply": yes, no or I don't know. These answers will almost certainly reflect the personal bias of the speaker.
3. If, in the very rare circumstance that you get an actual decision maker to review your candidacy, that person SHOULD give you stern advice about respecting your competition, but will more likely encourage you so that you view the school as friendly on the off chance that they accept you.

In general, with GPA damage, you have to:
1. Overcompensate with the rest of your app, particularly MCAT.
2. Offer a very clear, consistent, comprehensible and relevant demonstration of your academic prowess over a long period of time that nicely counters your earlier poor showing. One year of 4.0 does not fix 4 years of 2.5, for instance. An MPH is not applicable as a counterexample to usGPA, for instance.
3. Choose whether to gamble on an app that doesn't nicely overcompensate for and nicely counter your low GPA, or whether to do more work before you apply.

My pile of more than 40 rejection letters, which I acquired before I understood the above, and before I understood just how poor my chances were, motivate this explanation. GPA redemption was SO MUCH MORE expensive and lengthy for me than would make any rational person comfortable.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
With those numbers, go nuts. If you ask schools, you will get "yes please apply" answers that have no bearing on outcome.

Make sure to get mean old faculty to review your PS and give you mock interviews. Friends and family are not helpful.

Apply EARLY and broadly. Save your pennies & guard your emotions.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
You need to speak to the Admissions dean and ask "Am I competitive"?

A strong post-bac with a good MCAT score and good ECs will make you compelling. Just apply strategically.

Hello,

I have been doing some research for the upcoming cycle and have a question about contacting schools prior to application. I have stats that may get screened at MD schools, but I think my application (low cGPA under all schools 10%) may be compelling (strong post-bac and MCAT) if reviewed. Is contacting admissions at schools something that is done? I guess if I did that, my goal would be to see if there was value in applying, or if I would just be screened.

Does anyone have any opinions? I am very on the fence about it, and am leaning towards not doing it at this time. Or has anyone done this?

Thanks!

-cawolf

Last edited:
It's a good question, comes up all the time.

I have no motivation whatever to make my commentary feel like a hug.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
@DrMidlife

Thank you for your response. I know you see a lot of threads, but I think we interacted a little about my application. I have a 3.2 cGPA that won't rise anymore as I am approaching 240 semester units. My repair work is 3.5 years of 4.0 (including a formal post bac with the prereqs) and a 41 MCAT. I was mostly trying to see if there was any insight to be gained from contacting admissions, I suspected there was not. Just curious for a second opinion.

Thank you!

-cawolf

Seriously. You have redemption there. If the rest of your application is good, you could get into MS; although going for Cali is trickier. Hope you are applying outside of Cali as well .

Last edited:
It's a good question, comes up all the time.

I have no motivation whatever to make my commentary feel like a hug.

Lol. No hugs? But your advice is solid. 40 rejections? You are one determined person!

Last edited:
Thanks. I do think I have proven my "academic worthiness". It has taken some time though to recover to where I am at currently.

I am applying broadly, to include a variety of osteopathic schools. Though of course for financial reasons, a UC would be great.

You'll make it! :)