Contacting Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

85-29

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to several schools back in June and there are a few that I haven't heard from since then. Most schools have sent me an automated email saying that they've received my application and that it is under review. However, there are still a couple of schools that I haven't heard anything from. I know that schools receive thousands of applications and it just takes time for them to review them all, but would it be acceptable to email or call admissions to just check in on the status of my application? I don't want to seem like a nuisance, but I also want to double check that the school has everything it needs from me in order to review my app. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it’s completely acceptable to call a school and make sure that they have received any mailed in secondaries. If you are talking about primary applications though, those are all electronic, so there isn’t really much of a chance for them to get lost In transit. If you are just calling to get an update, you might get an annoyed response along the lines of what you said - that they receive thousands of applications, it takes time for them to review them all, and that they will update you through the portal/email. If you want to get an idea of where a school is in the review process, you can check out the school specific threads. People usually post about changes to their portal or interview invites there.

Reactions: 1 user
I sent an email to every school I applied to shortly after completing secondaries just asking for confirmation that they'd receive my application, that everything was complete, and there wasn't anything else I needed to do immediately. I think every school responded pretty quickly and politely. As said above me, the admissions people exist as a point of contact, it doesn't bother them at all to ask them legitimate questions.