Contacting Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mellon977

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have begun the process, I would like to know if you had contacted the schools of your choice and introduced yourself as an applicant...
what other things could you speak about when you speak to an admissions officer? I would just like to have my name recognized someway, somehow...do you think it helps?
Are they open (like undergrad) about you visiting the schools?
OR is that something that they save for when they call you for an interview?
In other words, how can I initiate a networking with an admissions officer?

Members don't see this ad.

in late july of '04 i called Case and set up an appointment with Brian Sherman the admissions counselor to see if i was on the right track. When i went to talk to him he was very receptive to my questions. He looked over my transcripts and even let me know about my chances for the next cycle. He gave me a tour too, which i wasn't expecting. He was really helpful and i stayed in contact with him through (email) the whole admissions process so he new my name and face. I think that helped me. I don't know about other schools but that was my experience with Case.

Good to hear.

I am very interested in Case, so maybe I'll have to give that a try. I live in Idaho though, so I'd have to fly out just to meet w/ an admin, but I guess it would be worth it if Case ultimatley becomes my #1 school.

mellon977 said:
For those of you who have begun the process, I would like to know if you had contacted the schools of your choice and introduced yourself as an applicant...
what other things could you speak about when you speak to an admissions officer? I would just like to have my name recognized someway, somehow...do you think it helps?
Are they open (like undergrad) about you visiting the schools?
OR is that something that they save for when they call you for an interview?
In other words, how can I initiate a networking with an admissions officer?

You will learn all the names of the admissions office of your top choice dental school!!!

I called all the schools every 1-2 weeks to make sure the application was recieved, that it was complete, that the letters of rec arrived, that they got the secondary, etc....

For UCLA, my top choice, I came to their office and talked to the admissions people in person. By the time I had my interview they already knew me by name. If you do it professionally it can't hurt.