contacting podiatrists in my area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jack russel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently gained an interest in podiatry, but the trouble is I have no time to shadow one because I work, shadow an opthamologist and do research at my school. I tried emailing about 5 of the podiatrists in my area to ask them some basic questions about the field and what their experience has been like. I emailed them using the contact information on the APMSA website, but none of them have replied and it has been over a couple of weeks.

I am assuming I won't receive any responses because it has been so long and I understand that they must be too busy to sit down and write an email to someone they've never even met. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can get more contact with podiatrists who can answer some of my quesitons? I don't live around any podiatry schools, so I can't go visit one. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently gained an interest in podiatry, but the trouble is I have no time to shadow one because I work, shadow an opthamologist and do research at my school. I tried emailing about 5 of the podiatrists in my area to ask them some basic questions about the field and what their experience has been like. I emailed them using the contact information on the APMSA website, but none of them have replied and it has been over a couple of weeks.

I am assuming I won't receive any responses because it has been so long and I understand that they must be too busy to sit down and write an email to someone they've never even met. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can get more contact with podiatrists who can answer some of my quesitons? I don't live around any podiatry schools, so I can't go visit one. What should I do?

I had the same problem looking for a pod. When I tried contacting a pod via the "contact a podiatrist" link on the APMSA website, none but 1 of the 5 I emailed ever got back to me. But I was more successful when I clicked on the Request Information link under Career Zone. A few days after filling in my contact info 1 podiatrist emailed me back and was very helpful and willing to answer any questions. Try that. Hope that helps and good luck.

Hey, by the way, Im in Irvine too. I just graduated from UCI last March.

You may be able to locate a residency program near your home to visit.

Members don't see this ad :)
The other option is to look up Pods in either the phone book or on the website of the nearest hospital. It probably seems strange to "cold call", but in my experience, the Drs have always been cordial. Sometimes the receptionists will even put you through immediately, which is nice when time is of the essence. You could call during your lunch break. Just a thought.

I would make time to shadow no matter what decision you make. I am sure that the opthamologist you are shadowing will understand that you are exploring different medical careers. How long has it been since you sent the emails?

oncogene

It has been about two weeks since I sent out the emails. Still no replies! It's okay I will find a way to get some experience. I am interested in locating a residency program nearby (I am in Irvine, CA). Does anyone know how I could go about finding one?

It has been about two weeks since I sent out the emails. Still no replies! It's okay I will find a way to get some experience. I am interested in locating a residency program nearby (I am in Irvine, CA). Does anyone know how I could go about finding one?

www.aacpm.org

Check under the residency tab.

Don't do emails! Doctors are always busy and never email back! Fastest way is to flip through a phonebook or internet search and make a list. Call every single one until you get confirmation from a doctor that will let you shadow him/her. It worked for me.

Also, good to see more fellow UCs applying this year. I'm graduating in spring from UC Davis :D

Don't do emails! Doctors are always busy and never email back! Fastest way is to flip through a phonebook or internet search and make a list. Call every single one until you get confirmation from a doctor that will let you shadow him/her. It worked for me.

Also, good to see more fellow UCs applying this year. I'm graduating in spring from UC Davis :D

Totally true, emails didnt really work for me either. I was Way more successful calling the doctor's offices themselves. I probably called a total of 10 offices and left messages with the nurses stating my interest in shadowing the docs there. By the end of the week I got about 4 call backs from the doctors themselves and all were more than willing to help! Keep trying. Call directly, alot of these older docs may not even really know how to check their email:laugh: jk. Keep at it. I was frustrated at first too, until I called the Dean of Admissions as AZPOD and he helped me find pods in my area and was actually the one that told me not to email and to try calling the docs directly. Hope this helps.