Contacting professors at balanced programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goodluckchuck

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is a question for you ladies and gentlemen....
I am applying to equal emphasis clinical PhD programs :cool:
Shall I contact professors from the schools I am applying to asking if they are taking on new students? OR....is that something that is more appropriate to do for research oritented programs. In other words will the equal emphasis programs think I am applying ONLY because I want to do research with that particular professor? :luck:

Thoughts? :eek:

....I love putting in pointless smiley faces......:sleep:

Members don't see this ad.

If it's a mentor model program, it never hurts to email and ask if they are taking students, regardless of whether it's research-oriented, balanced, or practice-oriented. If it's not a mentor model program, it doesn't matter.

If it's a mentor model program, it never hurts to email and ask if they are taking students, regardless of whether it's research-oriented, balanced, or practice-oriented. If it's not a mentor model program, it doesn't matter.

You are a genious my man. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to one clinical-heavy Ph.D. program (not mentor model) and contacted a well-known professor there about how many students they were taking, the research opps., etc., and he was very responsive-- in fact, the most out of all those I contacted. We exchanged a few e-mails and he even put me in touch with a senior grad student who would have met with me had I been in the area. An e-mail with basic applicant questions and an informative but brief blurb about yourself is the norm. If they don't respond, it might say something about their program...

I applied to one clinical-heavy Ph.D. program (not mentor model) and contacted a well-known professor there about how many students they were taking, the research opps., etc., and he was very responsive-- in fact, the most out of all those I contacted. We exchanged a few e-mails and he even put me in touch with a senior grad student who would have met with me had I been in the area. An e-mail with basic applicant questions and an informative but brief blurb about yourself is the norm. If they don't respond, it might say something about their program...

You are a genious as well :) Thanks for the advice!