contemplating about pathology residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BAD WAY

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to ask you guys about what residency is fit for a medical grad who likes to spend the major part of his lifetime career in research .
will pathology be the right choice ?

Members don't see this ad.

It is a general misconception that a career in pathology sets you up for a primarily research oriented career over other medical fields. Most fields, with the possible exception of family medicine, could provide what you're looking for. Radiation oncology is a field where everyone seems to have a PhD and is involved in research in one way or another, so you should look into that.

I want to ask you guys about what residency is fit for a medical grad who likes to spend the major part of his lifetime career in research .
Agree with the previous comment. Most any specialty can have a research-oriented career. So you should pick something you find interesting and enjoy, because residency will be the base of whatever career one chooses in medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
The American Board of Pathology recently created a Physician Scientist Research Pathway to encourage physicians with an interest in research to enter pathology. This is a forward looking initiative by the Board and places pathology at the forefront of recruiting and retaining physician scientists. Additional information is found on the link:
http://www.abpath.org/index.php/to-become-certified/requirements-for-certification

Look for the Physician Scientist Research Pathway.

Daniel Remick, M.D.
Boston University School of Medicine/Boston Medical Center

Reactions: 1 user
I will disagree with many on here, having been on this track myself. Pathology is a great track if you want a research career. Your schedule is flexible and fits in well with the paradigm of a physician scientist. Getting protected time and funding in this field is well established. There are other good options as well, such as IM or Peds, but most high-paying subspecialties make it almost impossible to do meaningful research. If you are staying in academia, you may be relatively insulated from many of the marketplace issues you read about on this forum. You are also closers to the science in Pathology than in many other fields and it is a natural fit.

Reactions: 1 user
FORGET PATHOLOGY with the CMS cuts the field will be left with only those who do not speak English. go into Internal medicine. Under CLIA you can still run a lab with IM boards. also with an IM residency you can still do research many in GI Endocrine Rheum, all do research. even if go to Pharmaceuticals with IM boards you will do better. but forget pathology

The problem now with "Flee Specialty X" is that the whole scene is turning into a ****show. At this point, you have to be smart, driven AND ruthless.

The problem now with "Flee Specialty X" is that the whole scene is turning into a ****show. At this point, you have to be smart, driven AND ruthless.
just leave while you have the chances. don't be surprised that with CMS cuts you don't get a paycheck you work for free