Contemporary College Essay Topics

Started by Rudycon
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rudycon

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a high school student planning to apply to top colleges for premed. I would highly appreciate any help in contemporary essay topics, tips, techniques, etc. for the college application essay.
 
Contemporary is liberal speak for, we don't want anything original from you. Personally, I'd challenge you to break their mold, make Fox News, and blow their socks off. Nothing controversial, but it has to have a twist, try "I refuse to attend colleges who tow Anitifa politics, colleges who censor speech in the name of the 1st amendment". But that's me.
 
As someone who really enjoys personal essay writing/blogging— start keeping a journal. Your best bet is to write about anything that you’re passionate about, even if it seems somewhat trivial or just an interesting observation. Or an experience that changed your way of thinking/broadened your perspective— I think anything along these lines is a winner.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Contemporary is liberal speak for, we don't want anything original from you. Personally, I'd challenge you to break their mold, make Fox News, and blow their socks off. Nothing controversial, but it has to have a twist, try "I refuse to attend colleges who tow Anitifa politics, colleges who censor speech in the name of the 1st amendment". But that's me.
The point of the personal statement is not to “make it onto Fox News.” It’s to get to see your thought process and reasoning, ability to write, and a unique perspective. Throwing around buzzwords like “kowtowing to Antifa politics” (huh?) just to be controversial doesn’t really fit any of the goals of the essay. If I read that, I would be bored by the transparency of just trying to sound edgy without any substance.

Now, if someone has spent significant time and energy working in conservative political campaigns, and can speak to what they learned in a well thought-out manner, then this would be a reasonable topic. I’ve seen personal statements about experiences from religious missions (i.e. with a clear conservative/religious perspective), and these can work.
 
The point of the personal statement is not to “make it onto Fox News.” It’s to get to see your thought process and reasoning, ability to write, and a unique perspective. Throwing around buzzwords like “kowtowing to Antifa politics” (huh?) just to be controversial doesn’t really fit any of the goals of the essay. If I read that, I would be bored by the transparency of just trying to sound edgy without any substance.

Now, if someone has spent significant time and energy working in conservative political campaigns, and can speak to what they learned in a well thought-out manner, then this would be a reasonable topic. I’ve seen personal statements about experiences from religious missions (i.e. with a clear conservative/religious perspective), and these can work.

Obviously, I expected substance to accompany whatever hook they used. The point was don't be afraid to use a hook or be different, or throw up a flag to put it another way. These days great pressure is placed on people to 'go along to get along', we shouldn't fall prey to this. Today's climate, though 'in your face', isn't representative in large part. Yes men only claim to have all the answers, a 4,000 MCAT, 14,000 hours of community service, and are always willing to single handily rush armed assailants to save an injured puppy, but their personal statements are quite dull in reality.