Content for Learning Veterinary Spanish

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittylady03

Tufts c/o 2024
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm currently the student coordinator for some pilot Spanish courses at my veterinary school. In short, the students participate in about 10-12 hours of live classes (through Spanish for Veterinary Professionals - great course by them!), then spend ~30 hours with self-directed learning (includes rounds with clinicians, webinars, hospital document translation, etc). I've gotten a ton of great feedback from students regarding what kind of content they would like to see. They have all requested more interactive content, as we were relying heavily on the VETgirl and Hill's Spanish webinars. They really enjoyed the rounds with clinicians; however I only have a few recorded since we just started these and our clinicians can't do them super frequently due to schedule. My goal is to create assignments they can work through, probably along the lines of presenting a case and asking them to think about how they would talk to the Spanish-speaking client.

Because I am only a second year student, I don't have much exposure to what's commonly seen in a general practice. I have an idea, but I would love input on what are frequent cases (including wellness visits, since client education is important) that I could use to create assignments or guide discussions in a problem-based learning format. I would also appreciate any advice/suggestions on what you think would be helpful if you were to learn Spanish (or if you have already!). For example, the students recommended creating a patient history form that the client can fill out while waiting and the doctor can look at, as sometimes conversations happen so fast it's hard to process in another language.

I really appreciate any input from veterinary students and veterinarians; I want to improve these courses as much as I can to keep them going once I graduate! Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user