Quantcast

CONTEST: highest GPA or highest MCAT w/o acceptance!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yabbadabbadoo

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
92
Reaction score
0

Members don't see this ad.
Two contests, highest GPA and highest MCAT! Prize: a bottle of Arrowhead Mountain Spring Water! Post if you didn't get accepted last year!
I'm going to write 30 MCAT for now, but that's not my real score, just to start it out low lol.
3.3 GPA.

-yabba
 

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2006
Messages
11,823
Reaction score
68
and the value of this thread aside from making more premeds anxious is???
;)
 

yabbadabbadoo

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
92
Reaction score
0
as if that in itself weren't value enough..

also informational purposes.. wouldnt it be nice to say in conversations "oh don't worry about not doing well this year, i know someone with a 3.9 that didn't make it into any schools". or, to have that bottle of water and know that YOU have the absolute highest MCAT or GPA without getting in. worth more than that measly world cup
 

Gabujabu

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2004
Messages
527
Reaction score
2
It looks like Mr. Fujinaka is getting quite popular on the forums these days.
 

yabbadabbadoo

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
92
Reaction score
0
he can't enter the contest unless he gives his MCAT and GPA. that's what the ref says.
 

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2006
Messages
2,508
Reaction score
5
yabbadabbadoo said:
as if that in itself weren't value enough..

also informational purposes.. wouldnt it be nice to say in conversations "oh don't worry about not doing well this year, i know someone with a 3.9 that didn't make it into any schools". or, to have that bottle of water and know that YOU have the absolute highest MCAT or GPA without getting in. worth more than that measly world cup

You know what? I think this is the reverse of mdapplicants, people who put their MCAT scores up on threads, etc. The high averages on those reflect a self-fulfilling prophecy that people who feel like they are doing well are the kind of people who report. What you're asking is for someone to come forward and admit failure. I don't see how that helps anyone, especially given the positive attitude and support we try to foster for re-applicants.
 

yabbadabbadoo

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
92
Reaction score
0
jackieMD2007 said:
You know what? I think this is the reverse of mdapplicants, people who put their MCAT scores up on threads, etc. The high averages on those reflect a self-fulfilling prophecy that people who feel like they are doing well are the kind of people who report. What you're asking is for someone to come forward and admit failure. I don't see how that helps anyone, especially given the positive attitude and support we try to foster for re-applicants.
Well if you only view it from that perspective, yes, it would appear to not help anyone. How about for those applicants that do have a high MCAT and/or GPA and received no acceptances? Do you not think they also desire a group of people to associate with? Maybe they are unsure if something is wrong with them, but then seeing many others in similar situations will support this "positive attitude" for this year. As you said, it is difficult to ask that people come forward to admit failure, but that's the philosophy from which AA works, and, well, I think it works.
 

MedicineNutt

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
525
Reaction score
0
Who M.D. said:
3.3 GPA, 32R MCAT, no interviews. :-(

why no interviews? lack of clinical experience or what?
 

ChadC

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2005
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
BILAL said:

I'd bet he had a poor PS, no clinical experience, poor EC's (outside of being a boyscout) and/or a low MCAT.

My bio professor tells us constantly about a kid that got a 36MCAT and 3.9GPA, but not accpeted into medschool b/c he had no personality and no EC's.
 

coralfangs

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2006
Messages
1,080
Reaction score
0
why didn't fujinaka get into any school with a MIT degree?!
 
Members don't see this ad :)

ijcMD

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
May 29, 2006
Messages
147
Reaction score
0
he got a 36N too!
 
R

R.P. McMurphy

ChadC said:
I'd bet he had a poor PS, no clinical experience, poor EC's (outside of being a boyscout) and/or a low MCAT.

My bio professor tells us constantly about a kid that got a 36MCAT and 3.9GPA, but not accpeted into medschool b/c he had no personality and no EC's.

You would have to be a total knobjob to not get in with a 3.9 and a 36

Or maybe apply to only 1 or 2 schools
 

Who M.D.

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
MedicineNutt said:
why no interviews? lack of clinical experience or what?

I think it was applying late (end of October for AMCAS, November/December for secondaries) and having a poor PS (it really wasn't very personal, was boring, and didn't emphasize my medical and clinical experiences). My science GPA was also low—my first degree involved taking a lot of high-level honours physics courses, and I received low grades in those courses which has dragged down my science GPA even though my biology, lower-leve physics, chem, org chem, math grades are all good to excellent.

Finally, I'm a Canadian, so, at least for my US applications, I don't have a state school and I had to leave out lots of schools with lower average marks because they don't accept foreign students. My local schools in Canada have really high average GPAs so those didn't work out for me.

I'm reapplying with an early submission of the AMCAS and a much better PS (and better marks—one more year of decent marks under my belt now). Hopefully it goes better this time around.
 

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2005
Messages
4,286
Reaction score
53
Why would anyone want to torture themselves reading this thread?

I confess that I scrolled down without even looking. I don't want to know. :scared:
 

Who M.D.

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
baylormed said:
Why would anyone want to torture themselves reading this thread?

I confess that I scrolled down without even looking. I don't want to know. :scared:

I kind of would like to know that I'm not the only one with reasonable stats that got rejected. On the other hand, I'd like to know that I'm the only one so that my not getting accepted was an anomaly and that it will go better this time around for me.
 
Members don't see this ad :)

Hednej

***** Level 60
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2006
Messages
755
Reaction score
0
All these guys you're putting up have applied to only two or three schools. Though they have great stats, applying to only three schools is kinda dumb.
 

Severus

FTSM!
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
11,105
Reaction score
103
2 years ago.... 3.95 and a 34. :rolleyes:

But then again, part of that was probably my fault.
 

EZMcFlo

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2005
Messages
106
Reaction score
0
3.84 GPA, 33M MCAT, applied June interviewed Sept, Oct. at 5 schools out of 10 applied, still waitlisted 4, rejected 1.

Already re-applied, and am getting interview help because I'm pretty sure that's all I need.
 

Sartre79

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2003
Messages
629
Reaction score
1
EZMcFlo said:
3.84 GPA, 33M MCAT, applied June interviewed Sept, Oct. at 5 schools out of 10 applied, still waitlisted 4, rejected 1.

Already re-applied, and am getting interview help because I'm pretty sure that's all I need.


How are you getting interview help?
 

goodoldalky

Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2006
Messages
565
Reaction score
411
Ugh. No point in reading this thread. Med schools want future doctors. Not numbers. Everyone should forget the numbers, stop thinking that "Oh dear, this guy had a higher GPA and MCAT than I did, and didn't get in.. I'm doomed.." You should worry about being the best applicant you can - not anything (or anyone) else. Perhaps it would be useful to have another thread with the lowest GPAs and MCATs to be accepted. You'd be surprised.
 

Gabujabu

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2004
Messages
527
Reaction score
2
Hmm, according to the website, he had 36MCAT, 3.3MIT GPA, 3.9postbacc, 5years volunteer experience at a hospital, year as medical receptionist, boyscout, etc. While the ECs aren't mind-blowing, they're aren't non-existent.

I doubt that the PS really mattered as much as people are saying, since I would surmise that someone rejected 4 cycles in a row from 63 schools from MIT would probably have the common sense to at least write an okay PS. Most adcoms have told me that the PS is a deciding factor only if its extremely good or bad.

Of course, who really knows. It's just that one cannot assume that the only reason someone w/ a 36 was rejected was because of some huuuge personality defect (which is what everyone here automatically assumes). A lot of schools probably didn't look past the 3.3, even though it was from MIT.

ChadC said:
I'd bet he had a poor PS, no clinical experience, poor EC's (outside of being a boyscout) and/or a low MCAT.

My bio professor tells us constantly about a kid that got a 36MCAT and 3.9GPA, but not accpeted into medschool b/c he had no personality and no EC's.
 
Members don't see this ad :)

Mr. Freeze

Not right. (in the head)
10+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Messages
1,355
Reaction score
3
It's wrong of me, but I find humor in the fact that people who do so well don't end up getting accepted. Because I didn't. And applied to only one school.

Focus on being a person. Then worry about numbers...
 

Severus

FTSM!
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
11,105
Reaction score
103
Mr. Freeze said:
Focus on being a person. Then worry about numbers...

:rolleyes:

See, now that's the thing that I hate about this forum. Just because someone has the numbers does not mean that they're a tool of gigantic proportions, had a robot as a girlfriend, or some equally weird shi!t like that.
 

Compass

Squishy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
3,366
Reaction score
3
LifetimeDoc said:
This thread is depressing.

But, I've already decided that I'm going to apply 5 times (over 5 years). If I don't get in by then (my 40th birthday), I'm driving my car off a cliff.

Can I have your possessions? :D
 

sheepunite

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2005
Messages
384
Reaction score
1
ironmanf14 said:
You would have to be a total knobjob to not get in with a 3.9 and a 36

Or maybe apply to only 1 or 2 schools

HEY!
well, that was me. those were my scores, exactly.
i applied late, yada yada, no clinical experience, whatsoever, yada. i'm taking this year to remedy that, though.
 

chanjurban

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2004
Messages
181
Reaction score
0
Alright - I scrolled through this and I'll bite. I'm only participating because I reapplied and got accepted. So there is hope! :

Applied to start school in Fall 2005
GPA 4.0 MCAT 37R 2 waitlists, no acceptances

Reapplied to start Fall 2006 - 1 acceptance, 1 waitlist

Yes, I only applied to 2 schools - for good reasons.
And I definitely have a life and am quite human and personable.
 

Zuerst

Plutonium Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2005
Messages
407
Reaction score
3
LifetimeDoc said:
This thread is depressing.

But, I've already decided that I'm going to apply 5 times (over 5 years). If I don't get in by then (my 40th birthday), I'm driving my car off a cliff.

Hey man, you can just give me the car. I mean it's more fun to experince the free fall sans the car before you splatter on the foot of the cliff anyways.

And one more thing, please put me on your will before you jump. :p :D
 

yabbadabbadoo

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
92
Reaction score
0
chanjurban said:
Alright - I scrolled through this and I'll bite. I'm only participating because I reapplied and got accepted. So there is hope! :

Applied to start school in Fall 2005
GPA 4.0 MCAT 37R 2 waitlists, no acceptances

Reapplied to start Fall 2006 - 1 acceptance, 1 waitlist

Yes, I only applied to 2 schools - for good reasons.
And I definitely have a life and am quite human and personable.
wow, congrats. how was your second year application different from the first? what did you do in the year in between?
 

sheepunite

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2005
Messages
384
Reaction score
1
Severus said:
:rolleyes:

See, now that's the thing that I hate about this forum. Just because someone has the numbers does not mean that they're a tool of gigantic proportions, had a robot as a girlfriend, or some equally weird shi!t like that.

well said.
 

KardiacKiehl

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2005
Messages
311
Reaction score
0
3.8 GPA in BME, 32 MCAT ... 3 interviews, 1 waitlist at Wash U (my undergrad school) ... had plenty of research experience, but was told I lacked clinical ... reapplying with more clinical now ...
 

chanjurban

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2004
Messages
181
Reaction score
0
yabbadabbadoo said:
wow, congrats. how was your second year application different from the first? what did you do in the year in between?

I was pregnant when I started thinking about med school. When I met with one of the local med school admissions offices, they said that I really needed to put in a few hours to get clinical experience. (I'm a career changer, so it was even more important that I do so...) I was ready to hop to it on top of my full work week as a high school teacher, and studying cold for the MCAT, but my Ob/gyn said "no way - not until this baby's been out for at least 6 weeks". In retrospect, I realize there was no way I would have had the energy for it.

The baby came in June and I started looking for a local ER to work in. By the time I started volunteering, I already had interview invites, so I only had about 16 hours of volunteer work at the time of my interviews.

By the next summer - when waitlist purgatory seemed eternal, I had over 100 hours under my belt and I shadowed 3 different doctors. I also headed a committee at our school over the course of the past 2 years, and I re-wrote my essays - made them a little more personal and heartfelt. My interviewer at the school I was eventually accepted to seemed very impressed by the content. She asked me point-blank why I didn't think I got in the 1st time around. When I explained about the volunteer hours, she pretty much agreed that it was the main reason.

And WashU (who put me on the 'favorable' waitlist the first time) put me on the less desirable waitlist the second time around (grumble grumble)
 
Top