Continue building extracirriculars or travel abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

KoreanDoctor

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I realize the importance of continuity and commitment towards an extracirricular, whether it may be a sport, music, volunteering, etc. However, due to a new opportunity I'm faced with a dilemma:

This summer, I was planning to continue my works in the same research laboratory that I'm scheduled to start in next spring and also become more involved with the tutoring place I volunteer at as well as a hospital. (By more involved, I mean commit more time and visit frequently). That was my "plan" (which I know is bound to change).

Meanwhile, I applied to a international volunteering program and got accepted surprisingly. I'll be volunteering at various places such as endangered animal conservations, home rebuilding, teaching english to native kids, etc. However, these abroad trips last 2 weeks, and even though I feel that these may be invaluable experiences, I was wondering if it outweighs the importance of my regular extracirriculars or not.

So in short, would it be detrimental to my extracirriculars to go on this summer trip or would it be beneficial? In all honesty, I am EVENLY split between one choice or the other; I'm just unsure which one would be better for me.

Any thoughts, advice, feedback please?
 
I realize the importance of continuity and commitment towards an extracirricular, whether it may be a sport, music, volunteering, etc. However, due to a new opportunity I'm faced with a dilemma:

This summer, I was planning to continue my works in the same research laboratory that I'm scheduled to start in next spring and also become more involved with the tutoring place I volunteer at as well as a hospital. (By more involved, I mean commit more time and visit frequently). That was my "plan" (which I know is bound to change).

Meanwhile, I applied to a international volunteering program and got accepted surprisingly. I'll be volunteering at various places such as endangered animal conservations, home rebuilding, teaching english to native kids, etc. However, these abroad trips last 2 weeks, and even though I feel that these may be invaluable experiences, I was wondering if it outweighs the importance of my regular extracirriculars or not.

So in short, would it be detrimental to my extracirriculars to go on this summer trip or would it be beneficial? In all honesty, I am EVENLY split between one choice or the other; I'm just unsure which one would be better for me.

Any thoughts, advice, feedback please?

Wait, this International Program lasts only 2 weeks. Can't you take 2 weeks off your ECs and then return to them?

If it is only 2 weeks, and you had to choose between a 2-week trip and those ECs, definitely choose the ECs. Going abroad is a great experience and something that can be very beneficial for your development (and also helps apps and interviews). But a 2 week trip is not worth giving up 3 solid ECs.
 
Do what you want to do- what you will enjoy the most. Don't base your decision on building your AMCAS application. Honestly, both activities will probably contribute the same anyway.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wait, this International Program lasts only 2 weeks. Can't you take 2 weeks off your ECs and then return to them?

If it is only 2 weeks, and you had to choose between a 2-week trip and those ECs, definitely choose the ECs. Going abroad is a great experience and something that can be very beneficial for your development (and also helps apps and interviews). But a 2 week trip is not worth giving up 3 solid ECs.

Sorry, I should've clarified. The trips are 2 weeks and I can go up to 5 different locations, so assuming I go to all of them, that would be 10 weeks of my summer.

Do what you want to do- what you will enjoy the most. Don't base your decision on building your AMCAS application. Honestly, both activities will probably contribute the same anyway.

If you read my final lines, i wrote that i am EVENLY split on two because they both sound appealing. i never mentioned if one will make me look better on an app, i only asked if it the trip might be worth it, but I guess in a certain aspect, they are the same question.
 
Sorry, I should've clarified. The trips are 2 weeks and I can go up to 5 different locations, so assuming I go to all of them, that would be 10 weeks of my summer.

I should have figured that out. It just didn't add up if it was only two weeks.

Like the previous poster said, do what feels right to you. But, I will do my best to talk about the two options.

Going abroad could be a wonderful experience. However, going abroad can become a generic experience, and I don't think it makes you as unique as it may have in the past. I have never done medical volunteering (or any other, I just studied Spanish literature abroad) so maybe I just don't "get it." However, everyone's experience just sounds like the same, "eye-opening" experience. This is certainly not to belittle going abroad. But the number one thing for adcom members is that you not just have experiences, but you can talk about what you LEARNED from those experiences. So, something like going abroad can be one of those experiences you can talk about. Or, it can be just another EC that someone thinks looks good.

You other three ECs, on the other hand, appear like solid ECs. Lab research is quickly becoming a quasi-requirement for schools, so getting into the lab and staying in the lab is very positive. Plus, hospital volunteering and tutoring are very important as well. However, these are things you can do once you get back. As time passes, you get fewer and fewer chances to have experiences like you describe (I'm generalizing though). If it is something that really interests you, I say go for it.

Carefully weigh the pros and cons of both and make a decision. Hopefully, I brought up some points that might help you. However, you are the only one who can make this decision.
 
I agree, do whatever is more exciting to you. The big thing is that you want to do things that excite and interest you, and then keep doing them. 👍
 
I feel like study abroad, if done right, can make you application stand out from those who just stayed home and did research. There are generic study abroad programs (e.g. taking lit and art classes in Spain with 30 other students from your undergrad institution) but I think if you pursue something challenging and different, it will be worth your time.

Also, forget med schools for a sec. This is the only time in your life that you're young, energetic, and have few obligations. Medicine is not a career that lends itself to 10 week trips abroad. Seize the opportunity to travel now, or you will regret it in 20 years when you are working 60 hours a week and have a house, two kids, and a dog to consider.
 
Do what you love.

Looking back on my college experience, I have never said "Oh I wish I did that research project, worked under Dr. XYZ or studied just a bit more for that Orgo exam...," I look back and say "I can't believe I missed that party to study" or wish I had focused more on traveling, volunteering in a non-hospital setting or threw myself more whole-heartedly into work that I loved.

Just my two cents.
 
Also, forget med schools for a sec. This is the only time in your life that you're young, energetic, and have few obligations. Medicine is not a career that lends itself to 10 week trips abroad. Seize the opportunity to travel now, or you will regret it in 20 years when you are working 60 hours a week and have a house, two kids, and a dog to consider.
I agree with all of this