Continuing ed for a nurse that doesn't like nursing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ICUlover

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm new grad RN in an ICU working on my bachelor's. I *love* my job, but I think I might not have a passion for nursing. The idea of being a med-surg nurse is so outside of my realm of thought. I think it's the care model vs medical model I dislike.

I love collaborating with physicians for the care of my clients, I love a challenge, I am completely passionate about critical care. So it leaves me at a loss when it comes to furthering education.

I really want to pursue a post-grad degree, of course everyone around me recommends going the NP route and doing the intensivist specialty. But I'm not interested if it's just more care model. Then there's the PA route, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to find work in critical care, we don't use them at my hospital, but we're small and more rural. And I'm 31, and MD school seems like such a reach.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Gone from RN to MD, or worked as an NP or PA in critical care?

Sorry if this seems like a mess, it's just frustrating to feel bored by a career everyone loves so much.

Members don't see this ad.

What about the care model that you don't like? Do you feel you lack autonomy or knowledge? Do you not like patient care?

What about the care model that you don't like? Do you feel you lack autonomy or knowledge? Do you not like patient care?

I do feel that I would enjoy more autonomy, and I do enjoy patient care, but I feel like the nursing model is really critical of medicine and science and I can't get on board with that.

I just worry that as an NP I'd be best suited outside of the field I love so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mean we're not critical enough about medicine/science? A lot of nurses would agree with you there. I believe there are ACNP positions that are in the ICU. Have you checked other hospitals?

You might want to head over to allnurses.com and ask in the specialty forum. The traffic on that site is huge and you'll get dozens of responses and old threads you can read about. If you want more information about going the MD/DO route, search this site.

Last edited:
So I'm new grad RN in an ICU working on my bachelor's. I *love* my job, but I think I might not have a passion for nursing. The idea of being a med-surg nurse is so outside of my realm of thought. I think it's the care model vs medical model I dislike.

I love collaborating with physicians for the care of my clients, I love a challenge, I am completely passionate about critical care. So it leaves me at a loss when it comes to furthering education.

I really want to pursue a post-grad degree, of course everyone around me recommends going the NP route and doing the intensivist specialty. But I'm not interested if it's just more care model. Then there's the PA route, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to find work in critical care, we don't use them at my hospital, but we're small and more rural. And I'm 31, and MD school seems like such a reach.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Gone from RN to MD, or worked as an NP or PA in critical care?

Sorry if this seems like a mess, it's just frustrating to feel bored by a career everyone loves so much.

I was in the same boat. Was an RN for 3 years before deciding to go back to medical school. First I worked in mental health then on a surgical stepdown unit. For me i wanted more autonomy, challenges, and interesting duties. I got bored with my nursing duties pretty quickly and that really spurred me to go back. The path is the same as anyone else. I did a 2 year post back program and was accepted to a few MD schools, starting this fall. It's definitely possible to go from RN to MD, just have to be willing to put in the work.

NP here. I went all the through to the DNP. I like my job. I feel like I provide quality care. I feel like there is an enormous education deficit though. I'm applying to DO/MD schools because I want to broaden my knowledge base in order to provide even better care. The educations can not be compared in the least. NP programs do not focus on clinical needs enough in my opinion. Useless nursing theory and some other courses will never make me a better provider.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

NP here. I went all the through to the DNP. I like my job. I feel like I provide quality care. I feel like there is an enormous education deficit though. I'm applying to DO/MD schools because I want to broaden my knowledge base in order to provide even better care. The educations can not be compared in the least. NP programs do not focus on clinical needs enough in my opinion. Useless nursing theory and some other courses will never make me a better provider.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I agree, my BSN program was a combined MSN program but i stopped after getting my BSN because i started getting my first pangs of medicine longing. The nursing theory courses were kind of pointless to me as they always just seemed like common sense.