Contract outside the Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unsurez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a US senior applying for a competitive specialty. I've been offered a position outside the match. I've accepted and they said they are sending me the contract to sign. My first question is whether I can take this position outside of the match and if there will be any consequences from NRMP if I do. I also understand that when I sign the contract, I will required to withdraw from the match...

My second question is whether I can back out of this even tho I said I have accepted (via email) but haven't signed the contracts yet? The reason is part of me feels strong-armed into taking this acceptance as this program gave the interview and acceptance way before the other programs send out their interviews and at the time, I felt compelled to accept. And now I have some interviews at top institutions...

My concern here is also of the possible backlash if I back out now, given that programs talk to each other and the field is pretty small.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a US senior applying for a competitive specialty. I've been offered a position outside the match. I've accepted and they said they are sending me the contract to sign. My first question is whether I can take this position outside of the match and if there will be any consequences from NRMP if I do. I also understand that when I sign the contract, I will required to withdraw from the match...

My second question is whether I can back out of this even tho I said I have accepted (via email) but haven't signed the contracts yet? The reason is part of me feels strong-armed into taking this acceptance as this program gave the interview and acceptance way before the other programs send out their interviews and at the time, I felt compelled to accept. And now I have some interviews at top institutions...

My concern here is also of the possible backlash if I back out now, given that programs talk to each other and the field is pretty small.

I was under the impression that US seniors were not allowed to agree to pre-match contracts. I may be wrong though and I don't know the consequences. If its not allowed you could be prevented from using NRMP services later (fellowships, etc.) and the NRMP could take action against the program.

A. US seniors are not allowed to prematch

B. Nothing is for certain until you sign

I can't help but have my trolldar raised on you, but I'll play along anyway. The answer to all of your questions is that unless you're a DO student, you aren't allowed to take a position outside the match as a US senior. Both you and the program should know that. Go to the NRMP website and read the rules--and next time, you might want to read the fine print first *before* you sign a binding contract.

Oh, and don't double post the same thread in multiple forums. Which you also would have known not to do if you'd read the SDN terms of service before you posted. :hungover: