Contract Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most likely will be an independent contractor.

1. Were you able to get moving expenses?

2. Signing bonus amount? (Job is fairly competitive)

3. CME allowance amount

4. Were you able to get reimbursement for licenses, ACEP, AAEM, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Most likely will be an independent contractor.

1. Were you able to get moving expenses?

2. Signing bonus amount? (Job is fairly competitive)

3. CME allowance amount

4. Were you able to get reimbursement for licenses, ACEP, AAEM, etc?

I am also an IC.

1. No.
2. Zero.
3. Zero.
4. No.

I am also an IC.

1. No.
2. Zero.
3. Zero.
4. No.
You must be pulling $400/hr to have not gotten these things. Or is this how the IC world is ? I'm still a lowly pgy3

Members don't see this ad :)
You must be pulling $400/hr to have not gotten these things. Or is this how the IC world is ? I'm still a lowly pgy3
What? Why on earth are you assuming that getting no signing bonus/cme money/reimbursements etc as a 1099 employee = 400/hr rate? If that were the case, literally every EP in the country would be buying their own benefits and working as a 1099.

1. No moving expenses. Come as you are.
2. If the job is competitive, there will be no signing bonus. You don't just get one as a graduation present.
3&4. It's an IC job. That nonsense is your responsibility. You get all the monies upfront. You figure it out from there.

Good luck.

The key word in "independent contractor" is "contractor." As an IC you are a business, or in the language of healthcare, a vendor. In essence, you are no different from the company they hire to do the landscaping or take care of the medical waste. The only thing you receive is cash, everything else is your responsibility. That is why IC rates are higher than employee compensation.

Reactions: 1 user
What? Why on earth are you assuming that getting no signing bonus/cme money/reimbursements etc as a 1099 employee = 400/hr rate? If that were the case, literally every EP in the country would be buying their own benefits and working as a 1099.
I guess my thoughts on EM compensation are all wrong

I guess my thoughts on EM compensation are all wrong

Yeah, this forum will make you think every job should pay eleventy million per hour and come with free drinks or you’re getting screwed.

That’s just false.

What’s true is that if you’re making less than ~$275-300/hr (subtract $20-30/hr if you get benefits) and seeing 2 pts/hr or more than somebody is making a lot of money off you in the vast majority of settings.

If you are working in an area with a lot of competition than pay will be driven down. It’s all a matter of how much you value where you live vs what salary you’ll tolerate.

The big CMGs will tell you they “just can’t afford” to pay in this range.

They are lying.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I felt good when I read this:

Yeah, this forum will make you think every job should pay eleventy million per hour and come with free drinks or you’re getting screwed.

That’s just false.

Then I read this:

What’s true is that if you’re making less than ~$275-300/hr (subtract $20-30/hr if you get benefits) and seeing 2 pts/hr or more than somebody is making a lot of money off you in the vast majority of settings.

I'm not getting paid anywhere near that.

I felt good when I read this:

Then I read this:

I'm not getting paid anywhere near that.

Sorry to be that jerk, but if we don’t begin to understand and acknowledge what we’re worth we’ll never get close to it.

FWIW, in my opinion it ain’t really about the money but the total balance of the gig. I’d happily take a lower paying gig that’s well-staffed with physicians, reasonable pph, easy admits, able to get all my charting done during the shift, no PG and reasonable admin, and actually get out on time.

Sorry to be that jerk, but if we don’t begin to understand and acknowledge what we’re worth we’ll never get close to it.

FWIW, in my opinion it ain’t really about the money but the total balance of the gig. I’d happily take a lower paying gig that’s well-staffed with physicians, reasonable pph, easy admits, able to get all my charting done during the shift, no PG and reasonable admin, and actually get out on time.

PG may go to the wayside soon. A little birdie has told me two attorneys general (one of whom I know) may be filing a lawsuit in relation to their pain questioning leading to increased opiate prescriptions and dependence. Stay tuned... I’m excited on this one!

Reactions: 5 users
I'm also an IC, and I got all my moving expenses (about 5k) covered by my employer. I had to negotiate for that in the contract though, they didn't offer me that, and they reimbursed me after I spent my own money. So if you want moving expenses, ASK. You got nothing to lose. Others in the group got reimbursed for licensing. Team Health has IC gigs in my area, and they do offer a signing bonus too - though that's not worth signing the contract for for reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum in this forum.

Moral of the story - it's possible and negotiable.

PG may go to the wayside soon. A little birdie has told me two attorneys general (one of whom I know) may be filing a lawsuit in relation to their pain questioning leading to increased opiate prescriptions and dependence. Stay tuned... I’m excited on this one!

Oh that would be so, so sweet.

At the same time, needing a lawsuit to make this happen would be a somber reminder of the lack of physican control over the "system" we work in. For chr*st's sake, we have: substantial data saying the system's focus on satisfaction and pain control is bad for patients, a massive opiod problem on the streets, and mountains and mountains of physician and health care worker experience making it clear that the administrative obsession over satisfaction and pain control is terrible for everybody.

How will this get changed? A patient filing a suit? Blech.

That’s just false.

If you are working in an area with a lot of competition than pay will be driven down. It’s all a matter of how much you value where you live vs what salary you’ll tolerate.

The man knows whereof he speaks. That's what you're worth. When you own your job, that's what you get paid to see 2 pts/hr. When someone else owns your job, then you get paid whatever you negotiate. Sometimes it's more than that (if they're desperate and can make it up somewhere else), but usually it's less because they want some profit.

If you have a cush job or a particularly bad payor mix, you may be paid less than that. That's okay. It's your choice.