contract

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

syri

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
i will start my ophtho. residency next year and received my contract yesterday. As i was reading it stated that i will be a pgy-1 in ophthalmology. i am doing my pgy-1 prelim year at the same instititution and i thought i would be considered a pgy-2 when starting. ophtho. they will pay me as a pgy-2 though. i talked with the gme office and they said that they unerstand my point but that this is how they do it at this institution and not to worry because i am getting credit as a pgy-1 still.
This may be a minor thing and may not matter after all but I would appreciate if you had any suggestions on wether to just go ahead and sign the contract or should i insist more in changing the wording in contract as pgy-2. what are the implications.
please share your thoughts
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would bring it to the attention of the program coordinator or program director.

I'd make sure it says PGY2 and that u get paid as a PGY2. It's just not right to pay you the same as an intern if you've already done an internship.

Oops, just read your post again. Since you are getting paid as a PGY2, in the overall picture, it's not a big deal.

It's odd that GME would list you as a PGY1. I'd still bring it to the attention of your program coordinator so that you are listed as a PGY2 in their computer system. Less ambiguity that way.