Control rx quantity and refills written out and numerically

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MARX22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone.
My state requires that the quantity and refills both be written out/spelled out as well as listed numerically { #30 (thirty) }. Nowadays we have erxs but I guess the point was to make sure an rx isnt altered since it was on blanks before. I always saw the rxs filled though despite the quantity and refill not being written out. Docs never do that... are we legally expected to call and verify each of those rxs lol...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No definitely not, the whole point is to make sure it wasn’t altered by the patient or if the doc didn’t add refills, pt may have added a few. Question is regarding written rxs on state official rx blanks, and what was done before erxs came about. Some states dont have mandatory e prescribing yet

I can’t imagine that anyone calls for this on an E-scribe.

Reactions: 1 user
No definitely not, the whole point is to make sure it wasn’t altered by the patient or if the doc didn’t add refills, pt may have added a few. Question is regarding written rxs on state official rx blanks, and what was done before erxs came about. Some states dont have mandatory e prescribing yet
I call on all incomplete Rx’s for controlled substances. A missing dosage form is the same as a missing textual quantity is the same as a missing strength.

Reactions: 1 users