Controlled drug prescription transfer (Class III-V)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stevephhs016

Zug Zug
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

In regards to the transfer of controlled substances III-V between pharmacies, in PA, it is a one-time basis only. After that one transfer from the original pharmacy to the other pharmacy, all refills after that goes back to the original pharmacy. However, federal law says that "pharmacies electronically sharing a real time, on-line, database may transfer up to the maximum refills allowed by law." Does that mean that, in Pennsylvania, for controlled substances III-V, you can transfer up to 5 times based on the law for maximum refills?

I also tried to search through the PA code and couldn't find anything in regards to controlled substances III-V transfers for this topic.

This was a discussion sparked up at work today and apparently, a lot of pharmacists also are confused. If anyone could shed any light on this, that would be greatly appreciated! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

In regards to the transfer of controlled substances III-V between pharmacies, in PA, it is a one-time basis only. After that one transfer from the original pharmacy to the other pharmacy, all refills after that goes back to the original pharmacy. However, federal law says that "pharmacies electronically sharing a real time, on-line, database may transfer up to the maximum refills allowed by law." Does that mean that, in Pennsylvania, for controlled substances III-V, you can transfer up to 5 times based on the law for maximum refills?

I also tried to search through the PA code and couldn't find anything in regards to controlled substances III-V transfers for this topic.

This was a discussion sparked up at work today and apparently, a lot of pharmacists also are confused. If anyone could shed any light on this, that would be greatly appreciated! :love:

I had this same question when I worked for Walgreens. I thought their system fell under this definition. I could not understand why we were only allowed to transfer one time between stores.

I still do not understand what they had in mind when they wrote the federal law. What qualifies as a pharmacy electronically sharing a real time, on-line, database. How does Walgreens not fall under this definition?

Hmmm, that's interesting. We just covered this and we were told that applies to places like Walgreens, CVS...chain stores. Maybe it's a company policy not to transfer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably. At CVS, the system only allows one transfer, so I'm assuming, it is a one time thing. But it is still not 100$ definite.

At walmart, out system wont let us do an electronic transfer on a control. We have to call the other pharmacy.

Other than that we have to transfer all the refills, and the script can only be transferred once.

This is in NJ.

Probably. At CVS, the system only allows one transfer, so I'm assuming, it is a one time thing. But it is still not 100$ definite.

The system stops you, but you can transfer between stores. All the Rph needs to do is call the store where the rx is at and transfer it verbally. The other Rph just voids the rx. Many Rphs think it is only one time between stores sharing a comp. Monutain, yes walgreens should fall within this law.