controlled substances prescribing with medical MJ card

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

linguistafeliz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any take on this. I trained in a state where there was no medical MJ law and if a patient was found to be on MJ on UDS, their controlled substance contract was "terminated" (no more controlled substances from the clinic). Currently I live in a state where medical MJ is legal and very common. If you prescribe controlled substances (e.g. chronic opioids, benzodiazepines) would you suspend these prescriptions if a patient has MJ show up on a urine drug screen, or do you ask for proof of medical MJ card and document that you advised of risks of taking both medications?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone has any take on this. I trained in a state where there was no medical MJ law and if a patient was found to be on MJ on UDS, their controlled substance contract was "terminated" (no more controlled substances from the clinic). Currently I live in a state where medical MJ is legal and very common. If you prescribe controlled substances (e.g. chronic opioids, benzodiazepines) would you suspend these prescriptions if a patient has MJ show up on a urine drug screen, or do you ask for proof of medical MJ card and document that you advised of risks of taking both medications?
Marijuana is still Schedule 1 per the DEA. Until that changes, I personally would consider testing positive to be breaking a controlled substance contract.

Reactions: 3 users
Medical marijuana is a farce.
Contract was broken.
Make sure there is an extra blurp in contract that draws attention to no cannabis, or even "medical cannabis."

Depends on what's in the contract. If the contract stipulates no substance use, in most cases that would include marijuana as a substance regardless of legality in a state.

To be honest, this probably should be a more nuanced question about what should be in a controlled substance contract. A lot of people develop controlled substance contracts with a specific goal in mind. "Punishment," titration, harm reduction, decreasing medicolegal liability, decreasing diversion, etc. It just depends based on the goal the contract might be different. For a patient getting Suboxone that tests positive for THC, the safest thing (for them, society, and fiscally) would be to keep them on Suboxone. A patient with mild-moderate ADHD that tests positive for THC might need to be on a shorter leash, especially if they continue taking something that will directly affect attention.

I will also say that I am also very skeptical about the "medicinal" benefits of marijuana outside of some very specific, terminal or treatment refractory conditions.

Reactions: 1 user