Controlled trial...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted4401

Control is me last year; variable is me this year.

Last year: No research. No USMLE Step 2. 8 interviews in total out of 65 applications. Rejected.

This year: 1 publication (second author), 1 abstract presentation (first author), and 1 article (first author) in submission. Did 5 points better on my Step 2 compared to Step 1. Applied to 50 programs (DC'd the MDAs, Sloans, Harvards, Wisconsins, Floridas of the world).

So far ....

10/26/04 - 0 interviews; sad Simul.
10/26/05 - 4 interviews (3 from places that rejected me last year, 1 from a place that I interviewed at as a "backup"). Somewhat happier, but very nervous, Simul.

Still ... the sting of going unmatched makes me sick to my stomach, so not getting my hopes up too much. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Simul

Members don't see this ad.

SimulD, it looks like you have done tons to improve your app this year! I understand your pain and anxiety. Just imagine how sweet the match will be, after all the aggravation you've been thru (the match, Katrina, etc).

I sincerely hope that you do well this year. actually, not just well, but kick ass. I hope you will keep us informed.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think things are looking promising for you. You've already gotten 4 interviews before the month of November, which is half of the total you received last year. Please, getting invites from places that rejected you the 1st time around is a good sign.

good luck...
from the left coast.......

i have to inject a dose of reality into this thread. as an attending in a large boston practice and a former resident in boston, i've seen lots of residents come and go. if i were you, i would email places where i get rejections and call them and try whatever means possible to contact the program director and chair and find out why your candidacy was terminated at such an early stage. such a technique is sure to double the end number of interviews you obtain.

i had a friend who did not match who utilized this strategy to incredible benefit, and ended up in a highly competitive san francisco program.

hope that helps!

I don't exactly understand what you mean. I contacted every program I interviewed at last year after the (Un)Match, and asked what I could have done better ... not one of them had specific advice except to better my application through research and to try again.

Are you saying the current rejections? Call those PDs? That seems sort of strange - they've already rejected me ... You think they'd change their status because I called?

Thanks,
Simul

happyradonc said:
i have to inject a dose of reality into this thread. as an attending in a large boston practice and a former resident in boston, i've seen lots of residents come and go. if i were you, i would email places where i get rejections and call them and try whatever means possible to contact the program director and chair and find out why your candidacy was terminated at such an early stage. such a technique is sure to double the end number of interviews you obtain.

i had a friend who did not match who utilized this strategy to incredible benefit, and ended up in a highly competitive san francisco program.

hope that helps!

I agree with SimulID. You cannot ask for a more awkward situation or conversation.

Thaiger75 said:
I agree with SimulID. You cannot ask for a more awkward situation or conversation.

It never hurts to try, and you have absolutely nothing to lose. I have a friend that ended up matching at a top 15 Radiology program after being initally rejected without an interview. He called, got the interview, and ended up matching there. No joke.

SimulD said:
Control is me last year; variable is me this year.

Last year: No research. No USMLE Step 2. 8 interviews in total out of 65 applications. Rejected.

This year: 1 publication (second author), 1 abstract presentation (first author), and 1 article (first author) in submission. Did 5 points better on my Step 2 compared to Step 1. Applied to 50 programs (DC'd the MDAs, Sloans, Harvards, Wisconsins, Floridas of the world).

So far ....

10/26/04 - 0 interviews; sad Simul.
10/26/05 - 4 interviews (3 from places that rejected me last year, 1 from a place that I interviewed at as a "backup"). Somewhat happier, but very nervous, Simul.

Still ... the sting of going unmatched makes me sick to my stomach, so not getting my hopes up too much. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Simul

Hey SimulD,

Just wondering how the trial is going. My fingers are crossed for you!

Ended up with 13 interviews. 2 re-invites, 11 new invites. 6 more than last year, in total. Feel a bit better, but still nervous ...

Thanks for the support,
S

SimulD said:
Ended up with 13 interviews. 2 re-invites, 11 new invites. 6 more than last year, in total. Feel a bit better, but still nervous ...

Thanks for the support,
S

Sounds great. And sounds consistent with my 2nd time around also. Just curious, were alot of your new invites from programs that you didn't apply to the 1st time around or were they ones that rejected you before?

The 11 new interviews were all places that rejected me last year. As for the 5 programs that interviewed me last year but did not invite me, 1 was not offering a position this year. So, the other four, WSU/DMC, Ford, USC, and MUSC did not choose to re-interview me.

5 down, 8 to go. Lot more thank you notes to write this time around. A receptionist actually told me to make sure we write notes - the program director at that program takes it as a sign that you aren't ranking them.

Later,
S

SimulD said:
Lot more thank you notes to write this time around. A receptionist actually told me to make sure we write notes - the program director at that program takes it as a sign that you aren't ranking them.

Later,
S
can you restate that? It hink you left out a part of grammar there.

Good luck!!