Controversial Personal Statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmyAmy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spent two months shadowing and doing research at a major hospital in Jerusalem (I am not Israeli) and it was one of the most fulfilling, eye-opening, educational experiences I've ever had, and it made an incredible impact on my focus toward medical school.

I would like to begin my personal statement with an anecdote from my experience there, highlighting the dedication and compassion the (multi-national) docs had within one of the most conflicted, contentious areas of the world; however, within the walls of the hospital, none of that mattered.

Not only that, but I did a lot of important research and terrific shadowing while I was there.

Should I downplay or hesitate to mention this contentious topic/country as the opening of my personal statement? I am NOT giving any opinion, showing any bias or bringing up any super sticky topics, except possibly for the observations of arabs and jews sitting side by side in an ER like they would no where else..

What are your thoughts? Should I veer away in case I have a touchy adcomm or does it highlight me as a diverse applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That sounds fine to me. It sounds like you're avoiding politics and focusing on your hospital experiences, and I don't see how that would be controversial.

I think you should include it. It's a unique experience that few, if any, other applicants will have had. And it clearly had a big impact on you and your view of medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like a good experience that you should definitely include.

Great, that makes me feel a lot more confident about it! I am just trying to maneuver how I describe the scene in a politically correct but still honest way: women in hijab next to men in traditional Jewish garb, with the Russian EMTs carrying in the Palestinian patient..

But hey, that is East Jerusalem..

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I don't see why it should be a problem. In fact, it would be a really good one to write about. You should focus on explaining how medicine encompasses everything, regardless of race and beliefs.

I'm very jealous!

If you are describing events, that should be no problem. If you are assigning values to people (e.g. I could see in his eyes he didn't care about X people), you might get in trouble. Only add sentiments if they were told to you (e.g. the nurse said, "I prefer helping X people only").

If you are describing events, that should be no problem. If you are assigning values to people (e.g. I could see in his eyes he didn't care about X people), you might get in trouble. Only add sentiments if they were told to you (e.g. the nurse said, "I prefer helping X people only").

Luckily, there was none of that to speak of (in my experience), which is something that made a big impression on me, as a matter of fact.

sounds like a great PS in the making....just make sure you don't get too caught up in telling the story and setting the scene that you forget that the PS should be about you. good luck!

I have a similar PS. I volunteered in Gaza hospitals for about 2 months during 2008...

BTW, if you don't mind sharing, were you at Hadassah?

Yep, Hadassah.

Nice! You should def. write a personal statement on this. Hadassah is a prime example of how Arabs and Jews can coexist peacefully. Doctors take care of their patients regardless of their ethnic background. There are little blemishes here and there but overall it is a great hospital.

The dirty secret is, adcoms will read thousands of personal statements during a cycle (in theory), make it interesting. It DOESNT REALLY MATTER what you write about, just make it interesting. Oh yea, make it interesting.

I really like where you're going with this OP. Sounds compelling and should grab someone's attentin. Good luck.