Converging Lens

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeveStash

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone help explain how a converging lens works to help someone with hyperopia. I'm studying for the MCAT and was watching videos on Khan academy regarding this topic and at the very end of the video he stated that someone with myopia will benefit from a diverging lens because the distance of the virtual image is closer than that of the object allowing the eye to refract it properly onto the retina. He then proceeded to say that a converging lens would benefit a hyperoptic eye by creating a virtual image with a farther distance from the lens than the object. I found this very confusing and was hoping someone could maybe help clear this topic up for me. TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone help explain how a converging lens works to help someone with hyperopia. I'm studying for the MCAT and was watching videos on Khan academy regarding this topic and at the very end of the video he stated that someone with myopia will benefit from a diverging lens because the distance of the virtual image is closer than that of the object allowing the eye to refract it properly onto the retina. He then proceeded to say that a converging lens would benefit a hyperoptic eye by creating a virtual image with a farther distance from the lens than the object. I found this very confusing and was hoping someone could maybe help clear this topic up for me. TIA

That is confusing. The easiest way to remember is this....

In a myopic eye, light focuses in front of the retina. So the “diverging” lens shifts the focus of the light back onto the retina.

In the hyperopic eye, light focuses behind the retina. So the “converging“ lens shift the focus of the light forward onto the retina.

Don’t worry about real or virtual images.

Reactions: 1 users