converting from equivalents to grams

Started by SaintJude
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SaintJude

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just had a passage-based question from a Kaplan FL that required me to convert from milliequivalents (mEq) to grams.

I guess there was an AAMC 9 question that inclued mEq so Kap created a question on it. But I was wondering: Is this something that any other test preps emphasize?

Ps. mEq = mg x Valence / (molecular weight)

1. What is the meaning of an equivalent?
2. Say it takes 0.2 meq of base to increase 10 grams of soil from a pH to 5 to 6. Then why does it take it takes 0.4 meq to increase it 20 kilograms?

I see the math, but I don't understand conceptually, how you can set up a direct ratio between the two scenarios.
 
Last edited:
edit: Wikipedia disagrees with me. =/

If you have 0.5 mol of HCl, an equivalent of NaOH would be 0.5 mol. Two equivalents is 1 mol.

If you have 0.3 mol of X, an equivalent of Y is 0.3 mol.

etc.

It is an amount relative to the rest of the reaction that is being looked at. It can be one mol, but not necessarily.

i don't understand your second question: "Then why does it take it takes 0.4 meq to increase it 20 kilograms" :?
 
Last edited:
Yes, ok, but I didn't realize that it's almost proportional. So if you want to dilute 20 grams vs 10 grams, then you have to use double the base. Ok, when I wrote that out, I guess that makes sense.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad