Cook County vs Rush Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midwesterner123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For a CA-1 position in anesthesia, which one would you guys take? Which one is better? What do you guys know about each? Advantages/disadvantages? Reputation?

Members don't see this ad.

Rush infinitely better in all aspects. Not even a close, or fair comparison.

Rush for sure between the choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get into both Cook and Rush? Or are you thinking about applying for next year?

from a guy who did residency at Cook...

"Don't go to Cook..." :eek:

he went on to explain how you are treated as the lowest of beings, and how bad it is to work there.

Has anyone who interviewed at CC this year heard from them yet?

It depends on what you are looking for in a program. I can say that at Stroger you will certainly leave for home by 3:30 or 4:00pm on most days. At Rush you will leave at 6:00 on most days. You have 6-7 calls at Stroger (and post call day off). At Rush you have 3-4 calls (with post call day off). The better name in the Chicago area may be with Rush. Outside of the Chicago area probably about equal. The chair at Rush (Tuman) is on the board of examiners. No one at Stroger is on the board.

Experience is about the same, but transplants at Rush, trauma at Stroger. FMGs at Stroger, not so much at Rush.

I was sent a private message, but the response may be of help to all.

Both places have there benefits and detractors, it just matters what you are look for in a residency. I know Stroger residents better than Rush, but both institutions place residents in fellowships. I know that in the past couple of years Stroger residents have gone on to Hopkins pain (1), Hopkins peds (2), MGH pain (1), Pitt peds (1). Rush has placed people at Childrens (Chicago), Rush pain (4), Duke Cardio (1), Iowa regional (1), Virginia Masion regional (1). If you look at where these residents went to fellowship, this may help.

Anyone got a Call from Cook County this year?

I interviewed at Rush a few years back. It was the most depressing interview in my entire life. The residents were like land of the living dead. I'd never seen such a beaten down lifeless bunch. I'm sure they were all cool people before Rush sucked the life out of them.

A female 3rd year took me around. She would pass a co-resident in the hall and uttered a barely audible "....hiiii...." and the slumped over resident walking by uttered a similar lifeless ".....hiiii....." Then she told me in her half-dead monotone voice, "Chicago... is... a... great... city... ,but... it's... not... like... I... ever... see... it..."

Don't know a thing about Cook County.

They probably needed to be on a vent... possibly vent dependent? (drum roll please). :D

I kid.

Definitely Rush over Cook County.

any newer info on loyola or UIC? the latest posts on these 2 programs were back in 2007. any help would be appreciated.

Also what have you guys heard about Illinois Masonic?? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

"Match InstitutionProgram MAIN 2010 Cook County-Stroger Hospital-IL1127040C0 Anesthesiology

StatementIn the 2010 Main Residency Match, the Anesthesiology program at Cook County-Stroger Hospital offered a position outside the match to a senior student in a U.S. allopathic medical school.

SanctionThe NRMP has identified the Anesthesiology program at Cook County-Stroger Hospital as a match violator in the NRMP's Registration, Ranking, and Results (R3) system until 05/14/2011"

"Match InstitutionProgram MAIN 2010 Cook County-Stroger Hospital-IL1127040C0 Anesthesiology

StatementIn the 2010 Main Residency Match, the Anesthesiology program at Cook County-Stroger Hospital offered a position outside the match to a senior student in a U.S. allopathic medical school.

SanctionThe NRMP has identified the Anesthesiology program at Cook County-Stroger Hospital as a match violator in the NRMP's Registration, Ranking, and Results (R3) system until 05/14/2011"

what are the ramifications of this?