Cool surgeries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Telekinesis

Gig 'Em
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's around finals time for many of us and some of us may need some additional motivation for that final push. That being said, what are some of the coolest or fun surgeries you have participated in?

Members don't see this ad.

I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I think some of the coolest surgeries aren't the big crazy cases. For example, I was in the OR all day yesterday from something like 7am to 6pm. I think some of the cases were cool (ankle scope and lateral ankle stabilization, flatfoot recon) but I think possibly the coolest cases were the 2 tarsal tunnel releases we did. For some reason there is something that is just cool about opening it up and seeing the anatomy laid out in front of you and watching the posterior tibial artery pumping. It's also pretty satisfying when you find the constriction that is causing them problems and you can release it (especially if the fascia is thicker and it has that satisfying "crunch" when you snip it.)

That said, check out this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/true-stories-from-podiatric-residency.409888/
It's the thread I used to keep my motivation up during finals week.